PeerFactor+utorrent?

Knight

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people will now link µTorrent to anti-p2p, regardless of what you might say. I will keep on using the client myself, just because it's so amazing and ludde puts so much effort into it.

I'm all for him making a living from his coding, just wish the choice of the company would've been a better one. Just like lokitorrent, suprnova, this is another one for paranoia freaks to put their teeth in.

Ah yes, I hope so as well :), I just hate it when people jump on the bandwagon just to make the (any) client look bad. Everyone has a choice whether to use it or not, it's not like they own ludde just because they use his program. Sadly most people apparently do ;)

I'm not too surpried about the people's responses on the PhoenixLabs forums. They are using PG in the first place for a reason... aka to try and clear that nagging fear of getting caught. Anything minor happens and they crusade against it, usually blindly.

To put the utorrent site in a block list is an insanely stupid move by Bluetack. I'm actually more disappointed in THEM than I will ever be in a piece of software that lets me control everything it does.

Can't the bluetack people use ethereal or any such software? What amateurs are they with their unsubstantiated claims? I'm pretty much a vet with ethereal, I study networks and their layers and packages, I audit them, from IPv6 to cracking WPA, and I can assure you;

Utorrent does nothing other than what it should do. Plus, it's free (and doesn't even ask me to donate the way Azureus annoyingly started to do), so what is the problem anyway? It's clear to me that it will never charge for anything. It's a project of love and passion from Ludvig and some helpful friends.

Ludvig is simply one of the best coders I've seen delivering software, especially considering the memory management and use of resources. He understands the minimalism philosophy like nobody on the planet!

Everybody writing such crap about utorrent is jealous and should be deeply ashamed of it.

By the way, can't they think about how many people work for Mac Donalds or Wal Mart or any other business that those people didn't really like in the first place. One has to earn a living in this world. Anybody ever seen the movie "Office Space"? Do we all hate the entire population of the United States only because their president is an asshole? Don't think so. Enough said!

It wasn't PG, it was Bluetack (PG uses their lists, and the people behind PG don't agree with Bluetack's decision). The PG people are gonna switch to their own lists this week so they can avoid the stupid crap Bluetack is doing. fa's just a prick. And this isn't the only time bluetack has done something like this, it's one in a long string of bs.

Thanks for the support though, always nice to hear there's at least one rational person out there.

Look, I'm a software developer myself, and I've signed some contracts in my life. And a contract is not signed without at least a cursory check of the other signatory. Ever.

Well then, create a utorrent clone why don't you? Good luck!

It wasn't PG, it was Bluetack (PG uses their lists, and the people behind PG don't agree with Bluetack's decision). The PG people are gonna switch to their own lists this week so they can avoid the stupid crap Bluetack is doing.

OK, thanks, I just read about it. I'll edit my post, 'cause I like the PG2 concept.

The difference between PG and utorrent here is that utorrent would warn me about using lists from 'others'. PG didn't warn me about it, so they get the blame when something like that happens.

even if the company is only a former anti-p2p and now changing its direction' date=' [b']its a sad news :(

Or, perhaps it isn't a bad sign; luude is showing them the light. If a former anti-p2p group embraces p2p, it does more to help the p2p lobby than anything else.

Apparently Slyck has entirely missed this article last year: http://www.mindjack.com/feature/piracy051305.html

and this presentation: http://interactive.edu.au/PiracyIsGood-small.mov.torrent (yes, an entirely legal torrent)

hello utorrent community

A great discussion here, i see, i agree with some arguments of repo, there are many questions open, but the dicision that mr. strigeus made are probably necessary, for the survival of the utorrent project, live is expensive, nobody can buy something with "praise"

But the informations, true or not,that spread out in the internet like a bushfire, made a great damage to the image of utorrent and mr. strigeus. And i think that many user are procured about that change. But hey seriously live goes on and nobody's hurt.People that don't accept the new course are not forced to use it any further. I am greatfull for the work of mr. strigeus, had a lot of fun with the program.

Thats not an invitation to use strong language against my post,a little respect opposite others should not be luxury, even if they do not like utorrent.

greetings from Swiss

www.peerfactor.com seems to be something different' date=' some kind of search site that looks for the word "peer".[/quote']

just another domain squatter :/

why Ludde would ( I dont want to say lie) misslead every one about his knowledge of PeerFactors past.

Well, basically he's saying that he didn't know about it. However, a lot of people don't believe this, I guess it's just like everything with µTorrent, you are trusting ludde by running his code so you'll have to deal with it really. :P

At first he said he didnt know, bt then he said he did know but didnt think it was a big deal.

Quote:

Firon wrote:

(12:43:20) (@segosa) so, since you didn't answer in the thread, did you really have no clue about them before you signed, ludde?

(12:44:35) (~ludde) I knew that they had done some anti p2p, but I didn't think it was such a big deal.

(12:44:4 (~ludde) and the stuff I was involved it wasn't related to that anyway.

This is the missleading answers I am talking about.

ahhh what amazes me always is how people tend to forget all their knowledge when it seems convinient.

As it was, most probably, said before, there is no reason for any company to scream about a deal with uTorrent if they think about using it for anti p2p.

Now, let us step aside and think: how hard it is to design a client that behaves like Azereus and looks like Azereus for the tracker, for the peers? easy... I think yes, and if it is easy what stops the same person to put there a small module that will record store and analyze the IPs of the peers during a particular download? Possible? Given sertain expertise and money many can do that. Moreover, what stops my particular client, specialy when money and resources are available to jump from time to time form IP to IP and send fake content for the same torrent? Hash is the only problem...but I think that even that can be worked around.

This way, I have now all you info(I have only to contact your provider to get the rest of it) and at the same time I'm sure that you wont get this particular file, ever! =D

So why any one would need Lude to sell anything??? Many trackers (specialy private) are aware of existance of fake clients. Many have implemented special strategies to detect them (with "some" success), so why the hell everyone forgot about those usualy so hot topics and jumped right away on Lude?

You do not trust him??? perfect! pls log all activity made by the client and present it here: that would forever discriminate Lude. Can't find anything? That can mean two things: 1)he is smarter than you are and has hidden well "bad" comminication 2) There is nothing to find. In either case you as a user have always the choice to go for another client or stay with uTorrent. If you stay no one stops you from verifying all communications made by uTorrent every time new version comes out. If you change for another client you face the same paranoia problem: even an open source client cannot be trusted unless you have compiled it yourself and verified most of the 6 or more thousands of lines of code for suspisious content.

On the final word, you pretend to be paranoic? act like one! You are not?act like one!

P.S.

Good job Lude, I have been programming in C++ and C# for a while now, but I can't even closely imagine how you were able to desing such a small and eficient client. I would really like to learn from you, so if you ever deside to release some portions of your code or simply some ideas and solutions.... I'll be the first to read/learn/buy those.

I hope that bad publicity did not influence too much the amount of users and the client wond die.

ooooh.. why dont we just end this thread.. its simple..

keep using uttorrent, PeerFactor is not involved with µtorrent,

that's ludde, and he isnt changing µtorrent in any way shape or

form because of the arrangement, its just ludde getting some income..

end of story.. so why keep talking about it.. it seems pretty clear to me,

and if all the paranoids wanna drop µtorrent because of any false rumour

they have heard, thats their own stupidity, enough has been said, and if

they drop it, its their loss. it's not like they paid for a product anyway..

ludde made µtorrent for free, and gave it to people..

SO END THE THREAD!! its so pointless.. and if ppl r so thick they dont get it,

then dont try to help them.. they are inately stupid, and they will remain that way,

dont waste your valueble brainpower..

I just thought of something odd:

Why do we know any of this in the first place?

Why are we even aware of any link at all between PeerFactor(or whatever its offshoot company became named) and µTorrent?

The only person that could've told this to anyone is Ludde...that person could then go on to tell others, but at some point Ludde had to tell someone -- or PeerFactor did.

From what I see here, it seems Ludde willingly made it known instead of hiding it...which due to NDA's might be very easy to do! And all sides would be blissfully aware of the whole situation.

This suggests to me that Ludde didn't have any intent to lie to us.

Plus, it shouldn't be too hard to confirm if the anti-p2p part broke off from the company Ludde is signing with. If that's the case, the only thing you should worry about is what sort of deals go on under the table.

*sign*, µTorrent reputation is allot more damaged then what I first thought.

All sites with articles about this (except for digg.com),

give negative opinion about µTorrent, saying that ludde and

µTorrent are suspicious and should not be trusted.

And the majority of the people who comment on them agrees.

People on slycks seems to have calmed down now,

but other people continue throwing dirt on µTorrent even if they read the same info.

I think we need these things to shut people up:

1) More deeper going statement from Peerfactor about what kind of busniess they are doing today.

2) Again a deeper going statement from Peerfactor about that they have parted from Retspan.

3) More deeper going statement from Peerfactor on what kind of deal they made with ludde.

4) A statement from Peerfactor explaining why they choose to take the name 'Peerfactor',

if they don't want to be associated with anti-p2p.

5) A full statement from Retspan (if we are lucky).

6) Ludde should ask Peerfactor if they could change the confidential clause so that he is

allowed to show a copy of the contract with Peerfactor.

ahhh what amazes me always is how people tend to forget all their knowledge when it seems convinient.

Now, let us step aside and think: how hard it is to design a client that behaves like Azereus and looks like Azereus for the tracker, for the peers? easy... I think yes, and if it is easy what stops the same person to put there a small module that will record store and analyze the IPs of the peers during a particular download? Possible? Given certain expertise and money many can do that. Moreover, what stops my particular client, specialy when money and resources are available to jump from time to time form IP to IP and send fake content for the same torrent?

How hard is it for you fools to understand that Ludde CAN NOT do that without it being noticed?

Again:

You are FREE to monitor the TCP/IP (and/or UDP) packets going in and out of uTorrent. I (partly) do that for a living, and like I wrote before: uTorrent does NOT do anything out of the ordinary, because when it would, EVERYONE would be able to see it. It doesn't even 'phone home' at each start like so many other software-packages do.

The only caveat could be the Protocol Encryption option, which, may I remind you, is in there because users requested it! When switched on it's a little harder to know what uTorrent is sending out, even though it's still easy to see where packets go to, or when it does things out of the ordinary.

µTorrent reputation is allot more damaged then what I first thought.

Nonsense, if it would be as bad as you think, 65% of the internet users would not be using Internet Explorer.

In fact, as Bluetick states, they block MicroSoft sites too. One can't run Windows Update when PG2 blocks HTTP (using the bluetick list). Think about the dangers of that! Bluetick forces a lot of users (with less clue) to not be able to run patches on their machines. That's a lot worse than MicroSoft phoning home during an update, or MicroSoft letting some big company send data from your PC.

Let me get this straight:

Some of those using uTorrent are complaining about an alledged far away link with some former 'anti-ptp' organisation, yet at the same time they're using a MS Windows OS day and night without as much as a worry?

Give me a break.

Turning a new like 'feature'
Allow µTorrent to send anonymous version number and random id when checking for new version

per default certainly does not create increased trust.

Can you read? It actually DOES create increased trust, because you are allowed to switch it off.

Do you have any idea how much software is on your PC that does the same (or worse) without even mentioning it?

Archived