PeerFactor+utorrent?

Knight

Can you read?

Yes.

It actually DOES create increased trust, because you are allowed to switch it off.

No.

If I would be allowed to turn it on, because it is turned off by default, that would be another story.

Given the current situation, both the implementation of such a 'feature' and the fact it is the default qualifies as backstabbing any PR in defense.

Just because Microsoft does so doesn't mean that this is a way to gain trust.

Do you have any idea how much software is on your PC that does the same (or worse) without even mentioning it?

Yes.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question is: Why trying to commit PR suicide?

ludde isn't trying to commit PR suicide.

He just made deal to make a .dll for PeerFactor, without thinking what consequence it has

when the paranoid and misinformed people heard about it.

This whole issue has become a wildfire on a dry grass field, it very hard to put out.

Can you read?

Yes.

Well' date=' clearly you can't. It ONLY sends ANONYMOUS data WHEN you check for an update. Nothing to be worried about. You probably buy new stuff every other day while people you don't know are logging what you bought where and when. Go protest about that on the streets, why don't you?

It actually DOES create increased trust' date=' because you are allowed to switch it off.[/quote']

No.

Yes, it does.

Just because Microsoft does so doesn't mean that this is a way to gain trust.

So you're starting an anti "the operating system I'm currently using" PR campaign as of today? Good luck! Even loads of open source Linux software doesn't mention phoning home, and you're bashing a free software client like uTorrent on the fact that it includes the option to switch it off?

You have got to be kidding me. ;-)

I am sure that utorrent is clear not way to do an illegal activity...I am sure those who spread these articals are other bittorrent clients...since utorrent clear page has spreaded all over some webs that you can trust like softpedia...so...I gusse who did that is an evil jurk and stupid one...after this event will be cleared..not only utorrent cleare activity will spread but also...it shall discover who is behind this...I hope that stupid person who spread these fake facts to be caught soon..

I've only learnt of this news today, sorry if I'm late but I'd like to comment on it anyway.

I see a lot of emotive reactions on this thread, many speak about morality, trustworthiness... Morality??

The world of business is not one where morality counts anything, trustworthiness is an artificially built perception handed out to the customer... business only mean exploiting opportunities when you can. So I'm pretty persuaded that, from his point of view, ludde was right when he signed. And probably this contract doesn't mean much in itself.

But when he signed, he has shown clearly that he has a weak point in that he is willing to make money out of uTorrent, no matter who are the people paying the bills. Maybe he's been tricked into stepping in a marketing trap, but now his public image (and utorrent's) has been tinged with the shadow of doubt, and it will take a lot to wash it out.

In the world of opportunity, people will keep wondering why he did take such a step, why he lied about not knowing anything about PeerFactor, they will keep wondering if (or when) he will lie again and/or take other steps towards "crossing the barricade" (and also if he already made others we don't know anything about yet)

I enjoyed using uTorrent and even managed to spread the word about it out there, but now that uTorrent has lost his credibility, it won't be that easy anymore.

Ya, but many people also know about the anti-p2p program Peerfactor and

therefore immediatly associate the program Peerfactor with the company Peerfactor,

which makes people believe that the company Peerfactor is an anti-p2p comany.

It's a bit stupid of Peerfactor to chose the name of the anti-p2p program Retspan made

when the parted with Retspan 6 months ago, if they don't wan't people to associate them with anti-p2p.

From what I can tell:

* PeerFactor was the name of a service by a company called RetSpan.

but also:

* PeerFactor SARL is the name of a totally different company that was founded in 2005. This company promotes P2P.

These seem to be (legally) two totally independent entities. I have a contract with the second, while the first one is clearly Anti-P2P.

The same people (at least one person) are behind both of them. They are probably confused mortals that realized that Anti-P2P isn't the right way to go, so they made another company related to the positive effects of P2P.

There might have been some confusion when I was interviewed by slyck. I thought the Slyck interviewer referred to PeerFactor SARL when he was talking about RetSpan's PeerFactor.

How hard is it for you fools to understand that Ludde CAN NOT do that without it being noticed?

Again:

You are FREE to monitor the TCP/IP (and/or UDP) packets going in and out of uTorrent. I (partly) do that for a living, and like I wrote before: uTorrent does NOT do anything out of the ordinary, because when it would, EVERYONE would be able to see it. It doesn't even 'phone home' at each start like so many other software-packages do.

The only caveat could be the Protocol Encryption option, which, may I remind you, is in there because users requested it! When switched on it's a little harder to know what uTorrent is sending out, even though it's still easy to see where packets go to, or when it does things out of the ordinary.

If you do this for a living then you should know it would be very hard it is to tell.

Im NOT saying utorrent does this but calling home one time a month using a list of 12 ip's, only when connecting to a torrent using the same torrent ports making it look like any other torrent Then calling the data a hash error so you can't even count the packats in. ver out. How would you know? or more risky, calling home every time after the call home it receives a new ip to call next time. or calling home only after a peer connects to you sending you ip to connect to.

I main heck you can't just look at a packet and see a log of "where you been and who you connected to". Just make it look like any other torrent packet.Add on extra data encoded in a real packet.Heck with encryption don't even hide it :P,

Just a couple ways off the top of my head. To make it very very hard but yes not impossible to check.It's not like other companies that are so stupid to call home as soon as you open the program. Someone really smart could come up with something really good.

So anyone here want to setup a ring of computers block all data going in and out of them monitor all connections over a months time to see if it calls home? Heck not even talking about "calling in" now that would be impossible to check watching packets. Only checking the code could tell you that.

No matter what im still using utorrent as i have more trust for it then any adobe/norton/ms ect software :)

*edit*

p.s i really don't use this forum so i will not be able to reply.

Oldboy: µTorrent didn't lose any credibility, only in the minds of those who like to spread FUD. Understood? OK. :/

I understand your point of view, but to me you're hiding your head in the sand.

We have all been damaged by the so called "uTorrent fiasco", just pretending it hasn't happened won't make things any better.

From what I can tell:

* PeerFactor was the name of a service by a company called RetSpan.

but also:

* PeerFactor SARL is the name of a totally different company that was founded in 2005. This company promotes P2P.

These seem to be (legally) two totally independent entities. I have a contract with the second, while the first one is clearly Anti-P2P.

The same people (at least one person) are behind both of them. They are probably confused mortals that realized that Anti-P2P isn't the right way to go, so they made another company related to the positive effects of P2P.

There might have been some confusion when I was interviewed by slyck. I thought the Slyck interviewer referred to PeerFactor SARL when he was talking about RetSpan's PeerFactor.

I'm sorry to say this sounds like a typical backpeddaling politicians answer. I find it had to believe you wouldnt clarify the different entities right there and then during the interview. I was saving judjment untill you had a chance to clairify your answers in the interview, and now this answer (IMO) only makes you look even worse.

I dont know maybe the language barrier may play a part, something lost in translation?? This, for me will take some of the certainty out of UT's future. Maybe its just me but i just cant ignore this one.

Confused !!

GUYNEWBIE

GUYNEWBIE: you're making a big deal out of nothing. It seems to me you like you want to hear something specifically. What is it that you want to hear? :|

I explaind my concern in thread #141. What i was hoping for is a resonable answer to Ludde's responces in regards to his knowledge of Peerfactors past.

I just feel this new responce is just adding more room for speculation. If the interviewer knew there were 2 Peerfactors, he would of specified to which he was inquiring. Ludde should have specified which Peerfactor he was comenting on in his answer.

This is the first i have heard of the 2 seperate entities know as Peerfactor. I was under the impretion that Peerfactor simply left the Retspan organization, as has been stated all over the Forums. I believe this is an impotant fact to be left out of the initial interview, or second for that matter.

What I am asking is the same question; Why would Ludde first say he didnt know, then say he did but didnt think it was a big deal.

Please dont think i am trying to start anything here other than ask this simple question. I think UT is a fantastic client, and didnt plan on switchig any time soon.

still confused;

GUYNEWBIE

Archived