"Proxy error: Connection Refused" for some torrents

YorkshireJumbo

I've been using TOR, Vidalia and Privoxy for the non-P2P connections without problem for a while. I've tried downloading a few torrents off publicdomaintorrents.com, but I get the error "Proxy error: Connection Refused" for all the torrents I've tried from that site. Other torrents are working fine and I've got a green tick in the status bar.

I'm assuming it's a problem with the site, but they've no help files. I've had a search through the forum and FAQs, but all the hits for the above error message come back with "Proxy connect error", where people have problems with their proxy. Mine's seems to be working fine, so I'm at a bit of a loss...

Any help gratefully received.

TOR is fine doing torrenting, as long as you don't use it for the P2P part. Like I mentioned, I don't use it for P2P (i.e. connecting to any peers), just to the tracker.

As I also mentioned, I've used this setup for a while (several years) without problem, so I'm assuming it "allows torrenting". What should I check for?

i am getting the same message as yorkshirejumbo. i think switeck hit on my problem, "Your ISP is extremely hostile to BitTorrent traffic...maybe they're crippling uTorrent?"

i changed isp's, when i hooked the new modum up the isp downloaded some settings. utorrent was working great before. i have checked internet options and went through the utorrent setup and disabled my virus scan nothing works. any ideas??

I've had no real problems with my ISP, and have run without problems for a couple of years. I only have a problem with torrents from this site - that's why it's probably the tracker/site itself. You could try one of the torrents for yourself and see if you get the same problem - publicdomaintorrents.com has some interesting old non-coyright films, which is why I was there in the first place...

Archived