Problem with directories selection

CrankCase

I'm having a problem moving uTorrent's download directory. I'm using v 2.0.3. under Windows 7 (64-bit). I go to Options > Preferences > Directories.

I changed:

'Put downloads in:' to E:\Downloads;

'Move completed downloads to:" to E:\Downloads;

'Store of .torrents in:' to E:\Downloads

Therefore, everything is supposed to go to the Downloads directory on my E: hard drive.

The trouble is that it's not moving. I've restarted uTorrent and even restarted my computer, but it still keeps pointing to the default directory on my C: hard drive.

Is this a bug?

Changes are not retroactive for the old torrent jobs, only the new ones you'll add into µT.

Use freeware BEncode Editor (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306) and edit the file resume.dat (folder %appdata%\utorrent), then use the function 'find/replace' to change the directory path of your torrent history.

As you moved .torrent files too, edit settings.dat to change the path of the .torrent storage folder.

Then when your restart µT, all your torrent jobs should be resumed without changing the download location or forcring a recheck.

In addition, if "Put downloads in = Move completed downloads to", so just uncheck the box about "Move completed downloads to" and set only a directory for "Put downloads in:'"

Thanks for that response. I downloaded that editor but unfortunately I can't make head or tail of it, or what to do, as there's no instructions. Neither can I find any file called resume.dat, nor any folder called %appdata%.

I never understand why these programmers enjoy making things so difficult. If you change the download directory and copy all the old downloads to it, then it's logical to expect it to point to that new directory, and the resume.dat folder should adjust automatically.

So it's a big fail for uTorrent. It looks like I'm going to be forced to give up on it now and go back to using Azureus instead.

Like I said in my previous post, I can not find any folder called %appdata%, despite performing a full search. As for the FAQ, I don't see it. Where is it? That topic location you directed to is of no help either.

Regarding the resume.dat file, after leaving it till the next morning, I found it in a different place to where you advised, namely C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent. However, when I load it into the editor I just get a list of all my downloads with nothing there about torrent history and its directory path.

That's no good! By putting %appdata%\utorrent in the Run box it only opens up the directory that I had already found, and explained as such in my previous entry. Furthermore, that FAQ link you provided only gives FAQ's for uTorrent. That is absolutely no help when trying to use the BEncode Editor, for which there is absolutely no assistance.

Like I already said, I opened that resume.dat in the editor and all I got was a list of my torrents, with no way of changing this file in order to make uTorrent find the new location of my download folder. Your response was in no way helpful.

I despair!

I clicked on Find and and all I get is a box with some option buttons together with an empty 'Value' window. I click on 'Replace' and I get the same but with an empty 'Replace' window.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be searching for to replace, or how to do it.

In resume.dat the location for each torrent job is stored in the field called path (B).

Just click on the cross [+] for each torrent job to see this field.

So if the old path is e.g. C:\Users\<user>\Downloads\* and the new path is E:\Downloads\* then use 'find/replace' to change C:\Users\<user>\Downloads\ by E:\Downloads\ if you moved all the torrents on E:.

In settings.dat, the storage .torrent location is saved in the field dir_torrent_files (B).

Double click and edit the value.

Okay now I have it figured. Thanks. If only a decent set of instructions were included either as an accompanying file, or on the topic page where the download links are.

So now it is recognising the location of the containing folder as E:\Downloads\ as it should do.

There is one small issue of little consequence, but probably worth mentioning. In uTorrent, in the 'Status' column, is says "Error: Invalid download state, try resuming" next to all my completed downloads, which are now not uploading, although I tested a new download and that works okay.

Archived