IPv6

Mikey_1

sorry to jump on to your topic, Mikey 1. hope you dont mind. similar to mine, anyway.

so to prevent that from happening, Switeck, which parts of teredo/ipv6 need to be disabled and which bits need to be left alone (so as not to stop functions in windows 7 that need them)? i assume editing the registry is the correct way, but as there are 4-6 different options, which should be changed?

The issue is not IPv6 itself but the use of Teredo (and DHT, PEX, etc sending UDP packets) with a VPN service using PPTP. Your real IP can leak. So if you use a VPN, you have to prefer OpenVPN client.

If you don't use a VPN service, whatever it's IPv4 or IPv6, your real IP is normally displayed on p2p networks (BT works like that).

tnx for further reply, moogly. so, even tho' i dont use a VPN service, is it advisable to disable teredo/ipv6 anyway? under these options, which would be the best to use, without upsetting the bits in windows 7 that need ipv6, such as direct access, homegroups, and remote assistance? i dont understand the differences between the options below or the harm it may do to use the wrong one.

2. Type 0xffffffff to disable all IPv6 components, except the IPv6 loopback interface.

3. Type 0x20 to use IPv4 instead of IPv6 in prefix policies.

4. Type 0x10 to disable native IPv6 interfaces.

5. Type 0x01 to disable all tunnel IPv6 interfaces.

6. Type 0x11 to disable all IPv6 interfaces except for the IPv6 loopback interface.

TIA

ok moogly. tnx for help. i just wanted to be able to use utorrent but be as safe as possible. if changing some settings was going to help achieve that, then that is why i wanted to do it. with the 'guilty by association' and 'guilty unless you can prove innocence' being the way torrent users are being accused now, regardless of whether the downloaded files are/were legal or not (because the entertainment/copyright industries seem to be of the opinion that they have the exclusive sharing rights to every single file on the internet!), any extra privacy protection must be a good thing, surely?

Archived