Torrent speed slows down when i open browser

Balls

I know,its very strange and seems totally opposite to the normal problem. But i noticed this recently.

My connection speed is 512kBs and im able to download torrents at an average speed of 45kBs which is good enough to me. I tried the portforwarding method (kudos on the guide btw,fantastic) and im very sure i did all the steps but my port remains 'closed' according to the utorrent test but nevermind that.

The problem ive noticed is that my torrents will be downloading at around ~45kBs and when i open my browser (mozilla firefox) to go to sites like facebook and stuff,after a couple of minutes,my download speed drops to below 15kbs. And never rises unless i restart the modem or 'stop and start' the torrent a couple of times...

Any idea how to rectify this? Is there a problem with my settings?

Thanks in advance :)

There are steps to be taken to attempt to rectify that and there may be problems with your settings.

1st (slow speed section) and 2nd links in my signature.

Also try rafi's uTorrent v2.0.X Migration Guide here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=74820

Bad speed settings for your line can result in all kinds of weirdness -- from slowdowns to crashes!

First -- determine what your line can sustain speed-wise, ESPECIALLY for uploading!

Secondly -- did you configure your modem in any way? (it too might be firewalling uTorrent.)

Thirdly -- verify your ISP isn't to blame for your problems. Many ISPs have taken a hostile standpoint against BitTorrent traffic.

Ah,okay bro,ill try all that.

Btw,i was fiddling around and finally got my port forwarded!! :D

But the speed is the same,does that mean i already had my max speed even before portforwarding? Because if thats the case,i want to close it,i feel a little vulnerable with all the changes,lol..

erm,my line is 512kBs and upload is 122(I THINKKKK) and i was averaging 35-40 kBs download and im still getting that now. Wrong terminology actually,not max speed but average speed. So basically im getting about the same with the port forwarded :)

"Disable extra stuff (DHT, Resolve IPs, Teredo/IPv6, UPnP, NAT-PMP) if you don't need them"

Haha,i don't know what they are in the first place,so i wont know if i need them :P But ive already disabled DHT,UPnP and Nat PMP.

And ive put the bt_connect speed and max_halfopen to the suggested number.

I think the only explanation that makes sense now is that ISP is crippling it...

It was perfectly fine a week ago and i could get an average of 40kB/s and now its hanging around 15kB/s and i think thats the end of my torrenting days.. :(

Any idea what else could be wrong? Because i chose a well seeded torrent. Here's the small summary :

My internet speed is 512 kB/s for downloads.

Im using utorrent 2.0.2 and ive already port forwarded my connection. Im downloading a 4.25 GB file (arrested development tv show) and it shows that it has 39(222) seeds and 20(194) peers but my speed for some reason only reaches around 15kB/s and below. Sometimes when it just starts it can go to the normal 45kBs but then within a few minutes it drops to <15kBs. I set my upload to 20kBs following suggestions in a thread.

Right-click in Peers window/tab of a torrent to disable Resolve IPs.

"And ive put the bt_connect speed and max_halfopen to the suggested number."

What numbers would that be? I've seen multiple suggestions for those in multiple places.

Does the test torrents (mentioned in 1st link of my signature) download slow as well?

They at least should max out your line's download speed!

bt_connect speed is at 5

net_maxhalfopen is at 8.

Right now it seems to be hovering around 25-55 kB/s so i dont wanna touch it,but if it falls again ill try the test torrent and update here.

Thanks for the replies Switeck :)

Okay...the problem still persists...

I am able to get high speeds (for my connection at least) around 42kB/s but the moment i open my browser (mozilla FF) and browse a little,my speed drops to below 18kB/s and never rises more than that.

I have to restart my modem and/or computer to be able to get the higher speeds again. As you can imagine,this is quite troublesome especially if i just need to do a quick google search...

Any idea why this is happening..?

Yeah,i really think its got something to do with my ISP throttling even though the forum i usually go to to check on stuff like this doesnt show others complaining about it..

Its very strange. My web speed remains considerably fast even when utorrent is downloading but the utorrent download speed reduces when i open my web page :S

I guess there's nothing else to be done to fix it. Thanks for all your replies Switeck :)

Archived