Listen error

david101

Tried utorrent a few days ago and it seems to be a godsend. low resources, small size, perfect.

I've got a small gripe though.. at the bottom of utorrent it says 'Listen error'.. is that the same as 'NAT error'? it's the same port i've been using for past bt clients and i know my port forwarding is fine.

What's up?

I have the same problem. I have my "Port used for incoming connections" to be 5000 and when I check it on Shields UP! it says it's open. I still get the "Listen Error" at the bottom of my screen, though. "Port used for incoming connections" IS the option that sets the port µTorrent listens to, right?

-Karasuhebi

Yes, that's right. First make sure no other application is using your chosen port before you run µTorrent. Secondly make sure your software and / or hardware firewalls are correctly configured to accommodate µTorrent; perhaps you had another file sharing application that was explicitly allowed access to the port and you haven't yet added / modified a rule to permit µTorrent?

I have no software firewall, my only "firewall" is my Linksys Wi-Fi Router. I have DMZ turned on in this computer, which means all my ports are open. Also, even if I didn't have DMZ open, I set the port 5000 for µTorrent, which is exactly the same port I used for ABC before I unistalled it. It worked fine with ABC, why isn't it working with µTorrent? = And like I said, Shields UP! says the port is open, so I don't see what the problem is. It does say that the Protocol and Application that's currently using that port is "upnp-evnt

Universal Plug N' Play Event", though. I kinda figured that's µTorrent since I have uPnP port mapping enabled with it (even though I have NO idea what it is, heh...). Am I right?

-Karasuhebi

I have a suggestion that you might like to try. Set µTorrent's incoming connections port to something different, such as 56881 (this is the incoming port number that I use for BitTorrent). Also, disable UPnP port mapping in µTorrent's Network Options as it shouldn't be needed.

If I were you, I'd disable UPnP altogether (stop the service) if possible, as it can be a security risk. I recommend downloading a little security application called "Windows Worms Doors Cleaner", which will help you fix up some vulnerable ports including UPnP. Finally, I would strongly suggest that you download and make use of a decent software firewall such as Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro to guard your ports, because your computer is at risk to hackers with DMZ enabled.

I turned off the UPnP port thingie in µTorrent and I changed the port to the one you suggested. The "Listen Error" went away, thanks!

Also, thanks for the suggestions on how to secure my comp. I had all my ports closed down before and I just opened the ones I needed, but I became lazy and just decided to use DMZ so I wouldn't have to keep opening ports for certain applications. I know the secury risks, but I'm willing to take them. Nothing bad has happened so far, heh... ^_^

What does UPnP actually do anyways?

Also, I have another question. I'm trying to download this one .torrent file right now (http://a.scarywater.net/ayu/%5BAyu%5D_Jigoku_Shoujo_01_%5BB2DC2CE4%5D.avi.torrent) and it the status icon keeps changing between blue and red every few seconds while I try to download it. Can someone else try downloading this .torrent file to see if it's just me?

-Karasuhebi

Here is a link to some information about Universal Plug and Play (UPnP):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/upnpxp.mspx

I'm trying to download this one .torrent file right now (hxxp://x.torrent) and it the status icon keeps changing between blue and red every few seconds while I try to download it.

It seems to be a tracker problem. Apparently the "requested download is not authorised for use with this tracker." So it's nothing that you're doing wrong, anyway.

Edit: The torrent you enquired about should now be working.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, I know it's a bit late to follow this up now, but...

There was an error with the tracker when I tried it which is what was causing the lights to blink / change. You can view specific tracker errors within µTorrent if you scroll down a bit in the status window. After about ten minutes, it successfully connected to the tracker on my computer and started to download. I cancelled it, though, because 99.9% of Japanese Anime scares and / or baffles me. :shock:

Archived