Problems with new DSL and opening ports

bubbagumper6

Well I just moved and switched from cable internet (where for years I never had any problems opening ports and downloading torrents) to AT&T DSL. I have the exact same router (Linksys WRT54GL) so I know how to forward ports properly and set up static IP's. The only difference is now I have a different modem, a DSL modem, and I had to change my router's IP to 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 because it interferes with the modem.

Now on to my problem, it's like no matter what I do I can't get an open port. I disabled the router firewall, disabled McAfee's firewall on my computer and forwarded the port correctly but it still says it's closed...I also tried changing from Linksys firmware to Tomato because I read somewhere about the original F/W being bad with bittorrent even though I've never had a problem with it.

I'm not sure of the modem's model number, it says "Westell, ADSL2+ Router, Style MSTATEA" on the bottom

If you can access the modem configuration page, (should be 192.168.1.1 in your browser if it has it) then you can forward ports from the internet to the router from there. And then from the router to your system.

If you can't access that page, then you'll have to put the modem in bridge mode (google it) and use your router to control the pppoe connection and allow it to do the forwarding directly.

Not sure if you saw this post here http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3456 but the wrt54g is severely out-dated and inadequate for high bandwidth applications such as uTorrent. If you notice slowdowns or crashes that is probably the reason. There should be some workarounds and specific patches you can try, but a newer router would probably serve you much better.

Yes I can get to the modem's config screen but I couldn't find anything in there that would let me forward ports to the router...

I've tried to put it in bridge mode before but I could never get the router to connect with my info but I suppose I could try that again. The router is not even a year old (to me at least) and has handled torrents running at 1.5mb/s in the past (this was on my 8mb/s cable connection) are you saying that if I got a newer router I would get better speeds than that?

WRT54GL (key letter L pb9) isn't terrible, though perhaps a bit old. I've used some terrible settings on its precursor without breaking it, while newer G line routers will break quite quickly. Couldn't say anything about the speeds though make sure you got the right tier and try bypassing the router for a moment. Run speed tests, use test torrents (troubleshooting guide), and see if UPnP works as well. Also µTorrent displays in byte/s, unlike ISP literature of bit/s (8 Mbit/s = 1 MB/s).

As for bridge mode, it's worth a shot again.

Ok I'll give bridged mode a shot again tonight. I'm not worried about my overall internet speed, it's fine. I'm now paying for 6mb DSL and all the internet tests put me right around 5.1 which is fine with me (it's unreasonable to expect the actual advertised speed). My main problem is that I can't open a port for some reason and that has caused my speeds to SEVERELY suffer (for obvious reasons).

I'll report back with how the bridging goes. How do I test if UPnP works?

I tried to connect my computer directly to the modem, disabled Mcafee completely and it still said the port was closed. I also tried putting it in bridged mode (put the modem into "bridged" mode, and put the router into PPOE mode) and as soon as I do that I can no longer connect to the router...

I took some screen shots to show you what I'm working with on the modem, not much to configure. The first screen is the status screen, the second is basically the only page where I can make changes other than changing the PPP location (to put it in bridged mode)

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5184/infoob.jpg

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/396/configv.jpg

What IP does the router get connected to the modem? Did you enter your login/pass correctly into the router for PPPoE? Try to get a model number somewhere. Is the Mcafee a firewall? Disabling a firewall is often not enough, brand new rules need to be made or it needs to be completely uninstalled, at the very least for testing.

I went to the "status" screen in the router setup and it said it's IP was 192.168.1.64

Yes McAfee includes a firewall, but what I meant by disabling it, was literally going into McAfee, finding the firewall section and turning it off. That should totally disable it right?

And my only options for the router connection type are:

Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Static IP

PPOE

PPTP

L2TP

Telstra Cable

Right now it's set to the first one (DHCP)

I'll try the public IP setting tonight. Any idea what that does?

I'm not removing McAfee, I know for a fact it's not blocking anything, less than a month ago it was working fine at my last apartment with cable, I know how to open holes in McAfee's firewall and it's never presented any problems.

I've already given my computer an IP outside the DHCP range, but never have before and the router handled it fine.

wow, but I just changed public IP setting and it seems to have opened the port! Thanks for the help :)

Archived