utorrent causes my internet connection to drop

Fitz

It seems to randomly disconnect me whenever I try to run utorrent for any length of time.

My router's a D-Link DI-604 (with updated firmware), I have DHT disabled, and upnp disabled both on my router and in utorrent. I also have my global max connections set at 20, max peers per torrent at 20, and upload slots per torrent set at 4.

The only other things the FAQ suggests are "Lowering net.max_halfopen and bt.connect_speed" and

"Putting the modem/router into bridge or gateway mode" but I don't know what parameters to set for the first or how to do the second so I'm stuck. Any other advice? :/

Well, D-link routers in general are so much garbage, IMHO. Cheap, yes, and mostly work but I've had two of them break on me to date and both gave me trouble on and off. Most likely it just doesn't like the amounts of connections/traffic generated by Bittorrent.

Build a m0n0wall out of an old pc, two network cards and a cheap switch instead and you get rock-solid reliability, traffic shaping and nice advanced firewall features for next to nothing... :P

• 1 year later...

when i connect to my netgear and us utorrent my internet crashes and restarts after a few min. it only happens when i use utorrent why? i thought it was maybe im downloading to much to fast i keep changing the stuff around i think i fixed it.....so far but just to make just any idea what may cause it?

Archived