new Utorrent shutting off external HD

ZachUSAman

I've been using my Fantom 1TB (GForce Triple Interface External Hard Drive) for torrenting. I dont have the utorrent software on it, but just the things I download. For many months I've done this, But recently I've come across a problem with it thats been really annoying. I have it plugged in and when I go to start a torrent, for some reason, the fantom drive is removed and then detected again.

I recently got it working again, but its reset the torrents on my fantom drive back to 0% downloaded so I have to redownload them.

I can recreate this problem easily by having a torrent be forced to recheck. the torrent gets to 10.4% and then it says "the system cannot find the file specified" and the autoplay starts as if I just connected the fantom drive.

With a torrent that was finished however and seeding, when i went to recheck it, it never had any problems and was able to fully check it and resume seeding.

finally, not sure if this is relevant or not, but I am using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, and I also have torrents going from my C: drive as well as the G: drive (I made my external the G: drive because its a green hard drive, so damn witty!)

edit: on a last note, I've never had any problems with this external so far, having used it for this purpose for quite a while. I have also disabled any of the "power saving" options so it wouldnt be put to sleep.

Either the drive inside is dying, (i've had quite a few seagate drives die exactly like that, the crashes get more and more frequent until its like 10 seconds and then it won't even mount)

or the connection can't handle that kind of throughput, (usb max is about 30MB/s on a perfect drive) most externals will only run at about 10-15 for normal transfers. You might be able to tweak your disk cache settings to change the frequency of reads and writes, or just cut back on the amount of torrents on that drive running at a time. I've found that most of my externals can't support more than 4 or 5 torrents running at the same time without crashing.

well, I'm pretty sure its not dying.

also, my connection sucks. im maxing out at about 600kb/s down and 60 up, and its on esata.

Also, its not the drive thats dismounting, I've recently backed up my laptop using it and it was on for hours, also, I've been seeding from it for well over 8 hours.

It is dismounting, It can't need to connect (the autostart) unless it's first been disconnected. Its a loss of power resulting in a reloading of the driver. The cause could be from overload on the drive/connection or a problem on the drive itself.

You've gotta remember that when transferring normal files the drive heads are able to run in a fairly consistent path. But with torrents they're jumping all over the files to read and write random parts, When you've got say a 100ms seek time and you're trying to load/write 10 pieces per second you've already maxed out the drive. Yet you're only transfering at 200 KB/s there.

eSata is faster than usb, but its still nowhere near internel sata speeds.

If you are having this problem on eSata and USB i'd bet almost anything that the drive is starting to die. Try connecting the drive internally and see if that improves anything though.

Archived