Speed problems came up recently

makmacki

Hello,

I've been using uTorrent for quite a while now, and really did make an exploit this month.. But not necessarily enough for it to not function properly anymore, as it does. Until this Friday, I had excellent torrent speeds for my regular torrents, some of which I continued downloading after that day. I did notice something then, although I was away for the weekend and really felt it today. At first I thought there were some problems with my ISP, which although is unlimited, has some fairness policy. Just as I thought, I hadn't crossed their fairness limit and, according to them, had excellent speed. This was, of course, true, if I hadn't been torrenting. Now, having trouble opening Google is normal when downloading a 50 GB file, but usually the file is actually downloading. Today, the speeds wouldn't go above 10 kb/s, not to mention that just a week ago I was downloading this same torrent with 100 kb/s+ and without any browsing trouble. I also tried some better files since this one isn't the most popular one, but even with that slackware or whatever test file couldn't get a 10+ kb/s speed.

Thank you :)

Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.

However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests, uploads using control flows achieved up to 61 Kbps while uploads using BitTorrent achieved up to 61 Kbps.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits uploads on port 6881 or 39957. In our tests, uploads on port 6881 achieved up to 61 Kbps while uploads on port 39957 achieved up to 59 Kbps.

Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.

However, some of the measurements were affected by noise, which limits Glasnost ability to detect rate limiting.

Details:

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your BitTorrent downloads. In our tests, downloads using control flows achieved up to 61 Kbps while downloads using BitTorrent achieved up to 57 Kbps.

* There is no indication that your ISP rate limits downloads on port 6881 or 39957. In our tests, downloads on port 6881 achieved up to 61 Kbps while downloads on port 39957 achieved up to 61 Kbps.

What do we do now?

Also, I have only had the chance to test torrents on another computer on a different ISP :/

Glasnost can be "fooled" at least in the sense that known-to-be-hostile ISPs can pass all the Glasnost tests.

Do try a couple quick tests on another computer/ISP.

It could be a software firewall half-uninstalled on yours that's killing speeds? HijackThis and/or Process Explorer's DLL list (1st link, last post, last part) could find this if you know what you're looking for.

Any DLLs found by Process Explorer under utorrent.exe that are NOT Microsoft's are suspected until proven otherwise.

Archived