Wont download?

safc scott

Hi, I installed utorrent to my laptop (running windows 7 with AVG Internet Security) and when I open a torrent file it wont even begin to download, it shows me the seeds and peers in brackets (sometimes there are as many as 2000 seeds) but none of them will become active. I have added utorrent to the exception list in my firewall (at least I think I've done that right) so I am clueless as to what the problem could be. I'm using mobile (3G) internet btw if this helps. Anyone have any idea of a solution to this problem?

You're probably firewalled through your mobile internet. The majority of mobile broadband connections are incredibly inadequate for bittorrent transfer. With mobile internet there aren't many options for running stuff due to the incredible restrictions placed by the ISP's and the technology in general (VERY high latency).

The reason your seed/peer numbers still work is because tracker communication takes place on port 80 which will be unblocked for web browsing. Unfortunately peer connections take place on an entirely different port.

You're probably firewalled through your mobile internet. The majority of mobile broadband connections are incredibly inadequate for bittorrent transfer. With mobile internet there aren't many options for running stuff due to the incredible restrictions placed by the ISP's and the technology in general (VERY high latency).

The reason your seed/peer numbers still work is because tracker communication takes place on port 80 which will be unblocked for web browsing. Unfortunately peer connections take place on an entirely different port.

Thanks for your response mate, however I have also tried to D/L a torrent with my laptop hooked up to an ethernet cable, yet still have the same problem. Any idea's?

"it shows me the seeds and peers in brackets (sometimes there are as many as 2000 seeds) but none of them will become active"

Sounds like possibly fake torrents.

Do the test torrents mentioned in the 1st link in my signature download ok?

It seems to be working ok now mate, thanks, seems I made the very noobish mistake of not setting up my connections properly. Thanks for your responses, much appreciated. :-)

Archived