Error: The Specified Network Name is No Longer Available

ryboto

First, I know this topic has existed before, but the solutions suggested in the thread haven't seemed to help. Currently I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 downloading to a network share off of a WD TV Live Plus HD media player. Transferring files to the folders on the drives has been hassle free, albeit slow. Utorrent even worked fine for ~24 hours, downloading at around 1mb/s to the network drive. Now suddenly the other day, I start getting this "network name" error, and I have to restart the download, and it might have to check the file.

I'm using a wireless adapter to connect to the network from the PC that's downloading to the drive. I've tried adjusting the half open setting from 100 to 4, but I haven't seen any change in behavior. I saw in the other threads people suggesting it was the wireless connection, so, will this be an error I can't fix?

Sounds like a drive overload (not from transfer speed but more likely from too many random reads/writes), Try increasing your disk cache settings (default is 32MB, don't put it above 1700 ever, 256 should be a very noticeable improvement). and turning off windows automatic caching of disk reads/writes. If that doesn't help, then cut back on the amount of torrents running off that drive at any given time.

Thanks for the suggestion! Actually, overnight it had no issues, and didn't error out of the files that were downloading. I made the change to 256mb anyway, and after that it had an error. Changed it back, closed the program, restarted, still having the error.

Why does it only occur with utorrent? I've transferred large files that have taken hours to transfer at wireless g speeds, yet the transfer never slowed, and never stopped. What is it about utorrent that's different? There has to be a solution.

I just recently unchecked most of the caching settings, keeping the top two(override/reduce memory) and bottom two (windows disk cache disabling) checked, and the thing was working for a few hours before randomly giving me the error again. Nothing shows up in the event viewer.

I changed the caching settings because I was seeing the disk overloaded error. Once I unchecked what I unchecked, it went away, and downloading/seeding resumed at the speeds I'm used to seeing until it randomly stopped some hours later.

What's different with uTorrent is that the traffic is happening on a number of streams magnitudes higher than what you're dealing with on simple file transfers, probably causing your router to knock out for long enough to kill the network connection.

Your main client settings (peer connection limits, speed, uTP use, etc) have an effect here.

I have a pretty decent router, and I've never had network dropouts before and I've had periods where I had a lot more torrents active than the few I've got going now. Now I'm having an issue where utorrent wont even start transfers with files on that drive(3 active downloads), even if I have just one enabled, nothing. Then utorrent doesn't want to close. If I exit the program, and restart it, I get the popup telling me utorrent is still running. I either have to wait a half hour, or kill the process. Even when i kill it, I have to wait a minute or two for it to actually shut down.

I just don't understand though. I thought it might have been due to that, so I tested the drives connection by playing some media from it, and copying data to it. Had zero issues, even with streaming HD content. Maybe I'll just have to try a different client. Utorrent's been good to me for so many years though, I was hoping this could be resolved.

Playing and transferring files do not tax the drive or connection nearly the way uTorrent does.

Files will read/write in lines, increasing speed drastically because the drive heads to not have to look where they're gonna read/write to. However with utorrent, it writes and reads in 16KB pieces that could be anywhere on the drive which means that the heads are constantly moving trying to find the right spot. What may seem like a small transfer may actually be causing a lot of commotion on a HD's access log. Same scenario with the network. uTorrent uses UDP packets of varying size, which can cause many hardware setup's to lag. Where as normal file transfers use TCP and its a very uniform transfer, Nothing unexpected happening.

• 8 months later...

I had a number of these errors after I disturbed a connection to a networked USB drive hosting my downloading torrents that was connected via an Iomega iConnect device. As others have said the problem is caused by the unix software controlling the NAS restricting access / visibility of the files, & not by utorrent itself.

For me the problem went away by performing a controlled shutdown / disconnection / reconnection of the NAS device (i.e. via the iConnect software). Then when I restarted utorrent it automatically recognised the NAS located files , rechecked them and continued on its way downloading :)

Archived