Port forwarding does not seem to be working

shaahul

Hi

I have a Netgear wireless router. I followed the steps mentioned in portforwarding.com to allow port forwarding. But in spite of that I am unable to download any torrents. Whenever I run the port forwarding test through utorrent's speed guide, I get the following error - Error! Port 32459 does not appear to be open. What is it that I need to check?

Tracker status - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

DHT status - waiting for announce...

How do I check if both TCP and UDP packets are allowed or not?

I am a newbie to the concept of torrents. This is the first time I am trying to download a torrent. Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shaahul

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried to follow the instructions in the utorrent FAQ section and also from the posts, but am unable to download any torrents. Please let me know if I need to provide any more info that would help in tracing the problem.

Shaahul

Yes I am sure, I had forwarded to right ip address. I added a custom service "utor1" with the following settings.

Service Name Start Port End Port

utor1 32459 32459

The value of the server ip address is my ipaddress got through ipconfig.

Thanks

Shaahul

Firon

What is DMZ?

I have a doubt about my ipaddress. Whatismyip.com shows my ip address as 72.xx.xx.xx while ipconfig shows my ip address as 192.168.xx.x. Which is the one that I am supposed to set while configuring my router?

Thanks

Shaahul

You have to set the one in ipconfig. And by the way, there's no point hiding the local IP (192.x), no one outside your LAN can access it. DMZ is an option that most routers have that basically forwards every port to one IP. Try using it and see if that works.

Thx Firon for your quick responses.

I still didnt get how to use DMZ.

In the network options in the utorrent settings, I had unchecked "Enable UPnP port mapping". But in the UPnP settings in the router I saw that UPnP was ON. Also, the port that I set in port forwarding was 32459. But the port number shown below is 6881.

These are the UPnP settings on my router.

-----------------------------------------------------

UPnP

Turn UPnP On

Advertisement Period (in minutes)

Advertisement Time To Live (in hops)

UPnP Portmap Table

Active Protocol Int. Port Ext. Port IP Address

YES TCP 6881 6881 192.168.10.2

YES UDP 6881 6881 192.168.10.2

-----------------------------------------------------

Should I turn UPnP Off in the router? Also, there is another PC accessing the same wireless router whose ip address is shown above. Do different bittorrent clients have different settings?

Thanks

Shaahul

Hi

I followed the port forwarding settings given at http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/MR814/Utorrent.htm. This link says that "Enable UPnP" box needs to be unchecked i.e. disabled. Should I enable UPnP or disable it?

If it is enabled, what are the settings in the router?

If it is disabled, what are the settings in the router?

Shaahul

UPnP is unchecked in utorrent. I have also disabled UPnP in the router. But no change in the result. I still keep getting "ERROR! Port 32459 does not seem to be open" when I run the port forwarding test in utorrent.

In several posts, I read about TCP and UDP settings. How do I check whether my TCP and UDP settings are correct? Do these settings affect port forwarding?

Thanks.

Shaahul

i get the green icon in µ 1.5 but i also get the utorrent's speed guide error - Error! Port 32464 does not appear to be open.

its opened in my router, µ gives me the green light, i can download and upload. but the website's test says its not opened.

anyone else getting/not getting this error?

I'm experiencing the same problem reported by h0rnytoad1: slow download speeds (u/l three to five times higher than d/l even with 300 peers and 5 seeds), green network light and failed port open test from the speed wizard but OK on other sites through my browser (Firefox). I tried to test/indagate and this is what I found.

If I change the port and then reinitialize, then the port open test is ok and even the d/l speed dramatically improves.

After a while the d/l speed stucks and the port open test fails.

If I check my dsl500 router I see the tcp port correctly forwarded by the upnp service, but no udp port (This may be correct, but somewhere I read that both ports should be opened).

If I check the advanced properties of my Internet Connection Icon I see the µTorrent program listed but again only for the TCP port.

If I check the firewall for my Local Area Connection, I see µTorrent listed and checked in the exceptions, but in the advanced tab the program and its open tcp/udp ports are not listed among the allowed services.

Just as a final check I decided to stop the d/l's and to resume them with Bitcomet: the u/l speed didn't change, but the d/l speed was three times greater.

Any Idea about a workaround? (I don't like to open manually the ports, as I should then manually close them at the end of the d/l).

Any idea about a workaround?

Thank you in advance

Aviator

i get the green icon in µ 1.5 but i also get the utorrent's speed guide error - Error! Port 32464 does not appear to be open.

its opened in my router, µ gives me the green light, i can download and upload. but the website's test says its not opened.

anyone else getting/not getting this error?

I have the same issue.

When I lost internet connectivity yesterday, it took 3 restarts of my Netgear DG834G router to get µTorrent to map a UPnP port successfully. All is well now, though I do not really want to repeat the exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone, preferably a staff member confirm if opening a port for UDP port is REQUIRED or NOT. If it is can I suggest that someone inform portforward.com of this as it says only TCP is needed. If it is not can it be made clearer for new users to follow.... I've been a user now for 6 months and I'm still confused!!

This is a piece of my mind, but a dmz is never a good idea. it is like opening a front door in your house and putting "welcome" in front of it. you will be hacked blind.

In this case that might not be true. His modem/router applies NAT, even on a DMZ. At least I've seen that done in many of those cheap boxes. DMZ isn't really DMZ on them.

Can anyone, preferably a staff member confirm if opening a port for UDP port is REQUIRED or NOT. If it is can I suggest that someone inform portforward.com of this as it says only TCP is needed. If it is not can it be made clearer for new users to follow.... I've been a user now for 6 months and I'm still confused!!

It doesn't really matter if you add UDP on the open port or not. The reason I would also add UDP is because the router then entirely switches off probing on that port or port-range. It's not some extra security risk to also open it for UDP, so it can only speed up things. Also, DHT uses UDP.

Archived