Port forwarding does not seem to be working

shaahul

Thanks guys... maybe that should be pointed out on portfoward.com for those people new to bittorrent or port settings. It was confusing when I read forums for the first time and saw UDP mentioned throughout posts...

Also are there any issues with speed and/or client performance when running 2 pcs on a home local network, with an external static ip which is the same for each pc in that local network?

Should you only run client on 1 pc?

Does running a client on each pc with a differently assigned internal static ip addess for each create problems seeding?

I'm having trouble keeping ratios up due to very sporadic seed qualities and this scenario is the only thing left i can think of

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My network has about 6 computers, with the only problem being the low upload speed that has to be distributed among these computers. If you run the client on both PCs, you might have to divide the upload speed caps among the two clients in order to make sure your upload doesn't get saturated. Torrenting in general shouldn't be a problem, since peers/seeders send data to a certain port, and your router presumably forwards the port to the right computer on the network.

128kbit/s upload is only effectively 16KiB/s upload, which would probably be limited to about 12KiB/s. So naturally, it might take a while to upload that large of a file. If the upload speed keeps dropping to 0KiB/s, try enabling peer.lazy_bitfield.

Hello, I'm new and I have this problem. I'm afraid I have some trouble understanding computers and I'm terrified of wrecking something, but I've spent quite a few hours messing about (modem problems), finally got the port forwarded and the the IP set up, but practically nothing is coming down and the informative posts here are just more confusing. My DHT is on, can't find any info on what UDP is but FAQ says its not supported yet anyway.

Does anyone have clear step by step instructions on how to get the torrent downloading properly? I've got 512kb broadband, currently showing 4 (5) seeds & 6 (20) peers, which I also haven't been able to get a clear idea of their importance. I haven't touched the defaults for those areas in Preferences - is it more is better?

Really sorry if it's kidstuff for you, definitely appreciate any help and would love to contribute to torrent in future if I can in any way (if I figure out how!)

splintax's Beginner's Guide - most of the information you might want to get started can be found here

DHT uses UDP, but µTorrent doesn't support UDP trackers (something different). The number to the left of the parentheses is the number of seeds/peers you're connected to, and the number in the parentheses is the total number connected to the torrent that your µTorrent knows about. More doesn't necessarily mean better.

Use the Speed Guide, and select your upload speed in the dropdown list.

128kbit/s upload is only effectively 16KiB/s upload, which would probably be limited to about 12KiB/s. So naturally, it might take a while to upload that large of a file. If the upload speed keeps dropping to 0KiB/s, try enabling peer.lazy_bitfield.

Yeah that seems to have speed things up slightly what exactly is it doing? Haven't really tried any tuning with advanced options (some warnings I listen to!!) but wouldn't mind doing so.... is the section in FAQ all I need for explanations of each setting?

• 9 months later...

I have the exact same issue as Aviator i.e. ports forwarded correctly, green icon in the bottom of uTorrent but the speed guide shows as the port is not open When I first start it up, the port is forwarded but soon afterwards it reports that it is not and my download speed is terrible.

Just for the record, I had this working great for months until I did a clean install of XP and put uTorrent back in with the exact same settings as previous including the port number. My router settings and firewall never changed so I know these should be correct. Any ideas?

I realise what you are saying about static Ips but I know the ip address is not moving and it is always the same ip address. That also doesn't explain how my pc can be on and uTorrent reports the port as open and then say 30 mins later I will check again and it says the port does not appear to be open! Any ideas why this is?

When the port appears open sometimes and not others, either nobody is trying to connect to you (they may be already connected and no need to) OR your connection is overloaded and even though someone is trying to connect to you they either fail or your connection fails to reply back.

I think it was some form of overloading - I installed the patch to increased the XP SP2 TCP connection limit and then lowered the number of connections limit in uTorrent. I had my pc on during the night and I have checked it twice this morning and uTorrent is still reporting the port as open so I'm hoping that is the issue resolved. Fingers crossed and thanks for your input.

Ok, I spoke too soon, I'm still having this issue with the port number appearing closed. I was downloading earlier this morning and getting a good speed and uTorrent said the port was open but I have just checked there and it is now crawling, I check the port and uTorrent is saying the port does not appear to be open. That is in the space of an hour, no changes have been made at all. I currently have 3 downloads and I am seeding 6 items.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm the same problem with my NetGear WGR614v6, too. I did follow this guide as well as the guide to setting up a static IP.

But it's still not working. :\

Here are some of the things I reconsider as things I might've done wrong;

First time through, I believe I wrote the wrong IP-adress in the Port-forwarding / Port-triggering part, but I saved it, anyway. I was hoping I could edit this service, but it's not showing up anywhere on this window? Shouldn't there be any sign of that I have started a new service with the name Utor1?

Anyway, since I couldn't edit this one, I went through all the guide again, but since I couldn't make a new service called Utor1, and since I couldn't edit this one, I simply called it Utor2. Does this cause any complications?

By the way, the second time through, I made a new port-number as well, seeing as the old one didn't work. I simply felt like starting everything anew.

Also, at the end, where it what to write in the Port-Forwarding (etc.) window, the IP that it suggests doesn't match any of the one I've used or seen earlier. My IP-adress is 192.168.1.136, while the standard gateway is 192.168.1.1, yet the guide tells me to write 192.168.0.136 as my IP-adress, which didn't work this time through the whole process.

Anyway, the test in uTorrent still doesn't consider the port to be opened, and I'm running out of ideas.

I hope someone could help me, because the current torrent download rate truly sucks, and sometimes doesn't even work, even if there's somebody seeding the file I'm downloading. Also, if anyone wonders about something about this matter, that I haven't already told, please ask?

Thanks for your attention, though.

[edit:] Also, when I'm trying to download a file through uTorrent, and the Tracker Status says "Not authorized failed - invalid uid or passcode", what does it mean?

"My IP-adress is 192.168.1.136, while the standard gateway is 192.168.1.1, yet the guide tells me to write 192.168.0.136 as my IP-adress, which didn't work this time through the whole process."

Yes, you're right. The guide is wrong.

Your ip and gateway SHOULD be in the same subnet, 192.168.1.xxx ...or there WILL be trouble!

Your router has a LAN ip just like your computer does.

That LAN ip is used as a 'gateway' to the internet, since your computer connects THROUGH the router to the internet.

If your computer is on LAN ip of 192.168.1.136 , then your computer expects the router to be on a LAN ip somewhere between 192.168.1.0-135 or 137-255. It can't be 192.168.1.136 because that's what your computer is. And it can't be 192.168.0.0-255 because your computer is only going to look in the 192.168.1.xxx range for the gateway.

...just the way "simple" networks work.

There are ways to bridge networks, but it's more trouble than it's worth and well beyond me at the moment as well. :(

• 1 month later...

Archived