Download porblems when PC crashes

Milamber

I was busy downloading this weekend and after about a day of downloading I had about 50% of the files but my laptop crashed. When I restarted uTrorrent reported that only 6% was downloaded (as it was before I started the download originally). I lost pretty much a full day's download.

Any idea what I can do to prevent this from happening? My only guess would be that this has something to do with the caching of the files, but then how do I get uTorrent to write that cache from time to time to prevent this from happening?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

While you're on it, do you have any solution when PC crashes and the resume.dat becomes corrupt? FAT32 here too. The resume.dat.old is intact from what I see and I managed to rescue resume.dat from the FOUND directory and deleted the extra bytes. From a hex comparison it looks very similar to .dat.old apart for some bytes changed which appear to be the time statistics. Yet when I copy both (don't know if the .old is needed) it doesn't seem to recognise them and all resume is lost so I have to put them all back one by one.

Is there any way I can make it recognise resume.dat.old (that was not corrupt at all) as the proper resume.dat? Does it write any particular information anywhere else like an index or something?

Even if it needs any hex tweaking I am prepared to do that. It's many times that this has happened in the past (ok so I had some stability problems, fine!) and this time I want to try and avoid it.

Thanks

With all that babbling I forgot to mention the obvious. I did rename the old one but once starting it has no torrents to begin with. Like it's no recognising it and it begins with an empty history. has quickly got anything to do with it? Time checks or anything? (I didn't have to close it after all, it crashed.)

Any suggestions?

BTW The resume.dat.old has entries inside it, it's not empty.

Well instantly or not, the PC crashed and the original resume.dat was corrupted so let's leave that aside. The resume.dat.old on the other hand I want to believe it hasn't. But when I rename it it and start μTorrent it shows me nothing. Are there any particular checks made on times or anything? Can there anything be done to make μTorrent read it? I'd go as far as hex-cut pieces of it if some pieces in the dat are corrupt but I don't know whether it's linked to some other files...

Any steps I can take?

EDIT: The resume.dat.old I have has information in it. It's about 86kb and I can see my torrents in it, so you can assume that this is not blank.

Ok, I got it. There were some extra 00's at the end of the dat.old to delete and the final 0x65 byte that I had to add and it worked like a charm.

Firon: You didn't give me much info but I guess you have a lot of other probably more important bugs, issues, p2p discussions ;) and stuff to keep you busy but thanks for answering nevertheless.

Whoot! H4x0RZ: μTris killed my windows and now my system runs on Linux!

Well, I do have to say that's a little odd, I've never actually had to hex the .old file to get it to work.

Maybe it's this kind of crash that does it for me. Actually the PC freezes completely and I have to prush 'RESET' to get it going again so there's probably an interrupted 'WRITE' command that messed it up. Or windows is just for the bin.

You're not gonna make it work for Linux are you? Oh come on, pretty please with sugar on tops, even rpm, I'll take anything...

Tsss, pi$$ programmers, you pay them a whole load of money and all they come up with is a lousy 154KB progie that works only for windows!

Sinclair Spectrum maybe?

Milamber: sorry to 'take over' your thread. I'm done now. You're all alone ;)

Archived