Very slow download speed, even after changes from Speed Issues guide

dlzmu5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks that you and many others that flood the forum with "speed problems" don't understand what torrenting means. Read this from the help file:

"Because of the very nature of BitTorrent, speeds are not guaranteed for any given torrent swarm. While you may get great speeds in one swarm, you might not in another. This is due to the fact that BitTorrent is a P2P protocol, so it depends on the upload speeds of the other peers you are connected to to generate your download speeds. A common misconception held by many people is that torrent swarms that contain more seeds and peers are faster than those with less. This is not always the case. There can be a swarm with only a few seeds and/or peers on fast Internet connections, and you'll be able to get great speeds from them, while a swarm with many more seeds and/or peers might contain mostly people with slow, dial-up Internet connections, will get you terrible speeds from them. In the same vein, connecting to more seeds and/or peers does not equate to greater speeds, and seeds don't necessarily give better speeds than normal peers."

Add to this many ISP's throtle the network and you get a total mess.

OK, i understand what You are talking about, but is it normal that almost NONE of the torrents work for me, due to that only OVERSEEDED ones work (as i read in some manual/help file/site they should not work...)? And even that my upload speed is very low (so i can not peer/seed for anyone...)?

Subject of throttling is closed for me, because BitTorrent protocol works fine, but only with overseeded torrents ( it runs great when i play Wolfteam or share its files [read some posts before])

If that is a problem of peers/seeds swarm, no one would be interested in that topic and SOME torrents should run properly when almost NONE of them work...

Best regards, dlzmu5

I am having a hard time believing you have a problem. Your download speed is ok (XXX kB/s). You reached a good 55kB/s upload one time, out of a 58 kB/s in settings. Glasnost test is ok. When I add all these numbers plus understanding what bittorrent is including throttling, not only you, but other peers also, I don't see any major problem here. Maybe you want perfect numbers but you won't find them in a bittorrent environment.

You can copy text from uTorrent's Peers window/tab.

I can't see if any of your Peers window connected ips are via incoming or not...were there any incoming flagged ones?

The Logger window text doesn't show your end accepting ANY incoming connections.

My guess is your router has some function in it that's causing it to replace the incoming ip address with 192.168.1.1 -- which is then getting blocked by your end. Can you look through the router and modem settings again to see what NAT translation features are enabled?

Just have made new screenshots and log. Also have checked router's tabs but under NAT settings i found only two configure-able things: DMZ Host (deactivated) and ALG setting (SIP enabled), but there are lots of options under other tabs such as LAN etc.

On second screenshot there is a guidance line to separate IPs from the first one.

http://pastebin.com/3v8Wf7N1

ipsd.th.png

ips2.th.png

stabs.th.png

Best regards, dlzmu5

All the incoming connections were [utp] peers and seeds, NONE were using TCP (the old, regular peers/seeds).

At least TCP forwarding is "broken" -- but although the obvious answer would be broken-on-the-router (maybe by somehow conflicting with udp forwarding of the same port?)

...follow the instructions at the very bottom of the last post of 1st link in my signature.

I'm especially interested in what non-Microsoft DLLs are deep-linking to uTorrent.exe, as they could be the cause of all these problems.

This 3rd party software has a DLL listed under uTorrent.exe in Process Explorer:

O20 - AppInit_DLLs: prio.dll

O23 - Service: Prio Service (prio_svc) - Unknown owner - E:\Program Files\Prio\prio_svc.exe

prio.dll Prio Process Control O&K Software 1.9.9.2367

Can you test without it installed?

These others can be annoying with intermittent network or file use:

O23 - Service: Usługa Google Update (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe (file missing)

O23 - Service: nProtect GameGuard Service (npggsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\GameMon.des.exe (file missing)

...It is also strange and troublesome that their files are reported as missing. Verify they exist.

I have deleted NMIndexingService and Prio Service, but Google Update still exist (don't know why).

NMIndexingService was some junk left by Nero which i uninstalled, and Prio is application which saves priority of each proccess, and it's very usefull for me.

nProtect GameGuard Service is hacking prevention system built-in Wolfteam, so its files are unpacked whenever i run the game, and self-deleted after closing the game, so DLL injection can not be done (and that's why HiJackThis shows that its files are missing).

Tested some non-overseeded torrent, but nothing changed...

Best regards, dlzmu5

Are you aware that sometimes, when uploading, you won't have to upload so much coz many other peers/seeds are also uploading?. The whole "job" is shared among many so everybody's share can be low. Look at the images above and see that your upload speed is reasonable and shared with the many others.

Oh, thanks for that information, but it solves only half of the case - download speed is still high enough only at overseeded torrent...

These are recommended values to get the most people working without problems.

Even these settings aren't great for overseeded torrents, nearly dead torrents, PRIVATE TRACKERS...

So my case is very strange, i think.

Best regards, dlzmu5

Why only half? You download at speeds that people can/are willing to send to you. If me and 10 others can/are willing to upload to you at 10kB/s each, that's all you will get. It's not uTorrent's fault or your computer or router and no settings will change the speed.

And I'll say what I wrote before again: "Because of the very nature of BitTorrent, speeds are not guaranteed for any given torrent swarm. While you may get great speeds in one swarm, you might not in another. This is due to the fact that BitTorrent is a P2P protocol, so it depends on the upload speeds of the other peers you are connected to to generate your download speeds."

you won't have to upload so much coz many other peers/seeds are also uploading...
If you're having trouble uploading to other peers, they can snub you and refuse to upload back at all!

I'm a bit confused with these information:

If many users upload, i don't have to upload... but when i don't upload i can't download. Did i miss something here?

OK, nevermind whatever this means :P... In my case uploading is same as downloading, so i can upload only on overseeded torrents, because on non-overseeded ones my upload is something like 1 kB/s...

Best regards, dlzmu5

You don't upload to every peer all at the same time unless very few peers are connected to you. Upload slots tells how many peers to upload to at once PER torrent. So only if you're trying to upload to a peer AND failing to do so...or doing so at <0.5 KB/sec will you likely be snubbed by that peer only.

The ratio of connected seeds versus connected peers in that screenshot is very similar to the ratio of seeds to peers in parenthesis. That supports my theory that seeds connect to as many peers as their limit is set to...then quit connecting until they lose peer connections. Hopefully those "disconnecting" peers became seeds as well.

What's the flags on the individual peers and seeds? Are there many that have neither d/D or u/U? See any with "S" (Snubbed!) on them?

Yeah, these run without any problem, (all overseeded), but when i found one OpenOffice distribution which was not overseeded, Utorrent was connected only to 2 (of 2) seeds and 0 (of 5) peers, but even with that little amount of connections i received in average 90 kB/s (which is far better when i download non-overseeded torrents...). Normally, Utorrent is connecting with peers first, so now i really don't know what to think about that.

Best regards, dlzmu5

Archived