µTorrent 2.0.4 released

Firon

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the problem is on their end, because they're using horribly broken networking software/hardware... there's not much that can be done through testing. :(

Why not changing the connection to TCP which work on that specific connection, the same way I manually do it? . In my opinion I showed you a problem. If you think that a sudden drop in the speed from X kB/s to 0 immediately after switching to uTP and starting the transfer (or in other words "no transfer") is not a problem that uTorrent can fix, then I'd like to show you how Wikipedia describes a bug (in my opinion):

"A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure (to transfer data), or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result (data is not transfered), or causes it to behave in unintended ways (data is not transfered). Most bugs arise from mistakes and errors made by people in either a program's source code or its design".

mcaspi, once you find hardware is broken...you can't change the software around to "fix" it.

That's the scenario I'm talking about -- LOTS of routers are hopelessly broken, but not so many that we should just give up on uTorrent entirely.

And if your ISP is mangling networking packets, uTorrent is limited in its ability to detect such corruption/slowing because many ways the ISP uses are going to resemble a lot of other causes/effects.

mcaspi, once you find hardware is broken...you can't change the software around to "fix" it..

Why not?. Detect a bad uTP connection and if you find it, "mark" this connection as a "non uTP" for, let's say, the rest of the session, and switch to the old running TCP connection. Why being stuck with the "All mighty uTP"?.

And if your ISP is mangling networking packets, uTorrent is limited in its ability to detect such corruption/slowing because many ways the ISP uses are going to resemble a lot of other causes/effects.

Switeck, I'm almost sure that if BitTorrent was able to make the softwares it's made, it can find a way to detect bad uTP connections. Just watch a change from a working TCP connection to a bad uTP connection and you'll see a total mess there. BitTorrent just needs, in my opinion, to get rid of the fixation about uTP because it looks like things work on broken hardware when using TCP.

test 12354651234234

Firon, I see users that want to change to Vuze because uTorrent doesn't work the way it used to work and they're right. If you find this funny, and you find it is also funny that someone is trying to help improve the software so these users won't switch to other clients, then you may continue.

I heard awhile back that TCP will be phased out in uTorrent in favor of uTP.

Then I won't use it.

Yeah, can't really see how abandoning a time-trusted transmission standard that is used just about everywhere else can be beneficial.

Especially since users are apparently still running into issues with the implementation.

What older version ? An older 2.04 build ? I got this latest build's process to not exit at all upon exit, but hang in memory :(

Hi there. Yeah, the same thing happens to me:

I let the notebook downloading for a few hours overnight and when I check in the morning, the program is stuck in memory.

In fact, it ceases to function but Task manager cannot kill the apllication nor can the Resource Monitor. I have to reboot the machine in order to make it go away and be able to use it again, when after a few more hours, stopps functioning again with the same results.

It's been behaving this way since i made the update to build 22150. It hans't happened ever before this...

Cristiano.

Archived