Keyboard spam when using uTorrent, very odd behavior..

k3nnyd

So whenever I download something using uTorrent I get random letters and numbers automatically outputted to my computer (ex. "667b3b44") which I can read if I happen to have a cursor in a text box at the time. Other times, when watching movies using MPC, it will cause many of the view options to screw up leaving me with no seek bar, menu bar, etc. What's being outputted looks like memory locations to me. This has been annoying me forever it seems.

Another interesting thing is that this same issue happens if I try to use Vuze or Tixati. I really prefer uTorrent but was seeing if it was just a problem with uTorrent which apparently it's not. I just don't have the expertise to know what all 3 of these programs have in common that could cause the same exact issue to occur.

I think the issue only began after installing Windows 7 x64. Also the character sequence that outputs seems to be the same over and over unless I close and reopen the program. My computer isn't experiencing any other weird issues and I keep anti-virus, etc. up to date and running. I've tried a few things like playing with the options such as disabling auto-adding of .torrent files from a specified directory and turning off disk caching. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Using uTorrent 2.0.3 and I'll be glad to post any additional information that might help diagnose this problem later.

Sounds like either a hardware malfunction (keyboard controller) or some form of malware/keylogger gone bad. Try a scan with another AV, (not sure what you have so I can't comment on it's effectiveness)

And like DWK said, it's not specifically related to uTorrent so this really isn't the place.

Ya, I just thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could give me a clue. I don't think I've tried reinstalling my keyboard drivers. I have a G15 and thought I might of had some plugin for torrents at one point, but looking at what was installed didn't show anything relevant. Anyways, thanks for replying!

Archived