Speed Problem's in Canada? Don't blame uTorrent!

swakkenhammer

I posted a message yesterday about how I blamed uTorrent for my download speeds going from 400kB/s to 250-270kB/s. I was wrong. As the moderator Switeck kindly explained to me, we in Canada have Bell Canada to Thank for such slow speeds. Seems that Canada is one of the most unfriendly ISP's to BitTorrent client's there is. I wanted to post my Apology to uTorrent on uTorrent Forum and also request that if there is anyone out there whom can actually put a curse on something, please put a big one on Bell Canada. I'm ashamed to admit that my Mom worked for the bastards for 25 years.

Many of the uTorrent problems people have...are multiple problems combined.

So ISP throttling may only be part of your problem.

You could also have a bad modem, router, (wireless?) LAN card, or software firewall.

So many things can go wrong that uTorrent is like a canary in a coal mine.

It seems pretty foolish in that case to get angry at the bird if it gets sick or dies. :P

If you're anywhere within range of the services of MTS or teksavvy. They both have taken a stance against ISP throttling and transfer cap based internet plans. I'm happy to say that I am very impressed with their service in this area, and because of that I plan on being a loyal customer as long as my location allows.

I have however had issues with hardware. My new 2wire modem/router combo for instance is an absolute disaster. You can't put it in bridge mode, and it is setup to route all dns requests through it. The que line for dns requests is stupidly slow on this machine and it starts blocking requests when it receives over 5 or so per second. (on a 500 connection limit this can pose some problems) I got around that by manually setting DNS servers on my computer (network properties). It usually appeared as a random slowdown in transfer speed though, (and complete loss of internet browsing) I was running around 1.5MB/s so it was dropping a lot more but it could still be a similar problem in your case.

Archived