Beta 433 new network status icons: skinnable?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think someone colorblind that has a graphically skilled friend should design a theme that is both color-blind friendly and not hideous to those of us which aren't color impaired.

edit: i suppose the latter isn't necessarily required, but it would be nice to have one that could work either way. and if it was then made the default, it could be "µTorrent: The color-blind friendly client."

I do think the icons are good.

I dont think the icons should be customized, As they have a logical uniform purpose, Similar to the lights in BitTornado.

I do think they should be replaced with either BSH or lagnut's suggestions, so the symbols make up for the lack of color (for the colorblind) or popup (for the OS-challeneged users)

I agree with chaosblade 100%, no need to skin them IMO but it would be nice to replace them (I like lagnut's).

About the screenreader issue, that did occur to me; I think that the blind should somehow be able to read the tooltip, but I'm not sure.

As for the tooltip, it works fine here.

It should be made skinable. There shouldn't be a need to devolve to the lost common denominator. I am not color blind, so I don't think all software should be coded with stark constast color schemes. I want more use of color. Colorblind people should not be dictating the needs of the non-colorblind folks. Now having said that, I do believe some colorblind person should make a skin which will be useful to the colorblind population. But it certainly should not be the default and forced upon non-colorblind people.

Just to clear something up!

I did not create the icons in my previous post, some replies indicate that I have.

Get full set here from Author Mark James

16x16 16 colour versions... well, not really an improvement in looks but does it weigh up to the improvement in readability? And of course I guess you'd have to get permission of the original author to use these.

0005ys6z

0005zk2s

0006000x

And then there are those of BSH, though I figure he'll come up with better versions. ;) Sorry for being bored... I mean: impatient. (Editted a bit after Firon's point below)

00064ppk

00065f5t

00066h9x

Oh, and the transparency has to look reasonably good on dark themes.

... which indeed definitely sucks for the plain conversions above. Nicely pointed out. So I guess someone has to come up with either a different take on it altogether or better versions.

Boo: oh shit, really? :o I heard those people are very, very rare. Although he sees monochrome only, he should be able to distinguish hidden patterns and recognize a camouflaged object/person very well. :)

He has perfect vision (except that he can't see any colors).

For example, he must have notes on all his cloths which says what colors they are +

he has a list of recommended color combinations etc because he himself can't see the difference.

There shouldn't be a need to devolve to the lost common denominator.

I couldn't agree more - I never said µTorrent should.

I am not color blind, so I don't think all software should be coded with stark constast (sic) color schemes.

Fair enough, I agree with this also and I again never said µTorrent (or any other software) should for that matter.

What I did say was that software should always ensure that colour-coding is never used as the only means of conveying information or indicating an action. Feel free to make as much use of colour as you or anyone else likes, but just make sure that the information/action you are conveying using this colour is also conveyed in another way (e.g. using symbols or whatever). Whether this is an option which can be switched on/off or the default is really up to the program maker - but it needs to be there.

NO. We don't want it skinned, that's the one thing that needs consistency when dealing with people's problems.

That makes sense to me - I understand the reasoning.

however, we may change the icon if someone makes a new acceptable one with the criteria I asked for earlier. :P

What criteria? I looked through this whole thread and I couldn't find anything you posted earlier? Is this something you mentioned in another thread? I did notice this which you posted later:

Oh, and the transparency has to look reasonably good on dark themes.

But what are the other criteria?

--Goose.

NO. We don't want it skinned, that's the one thing that needs consistency when dealing with people's problems. however, we may change the icon if someone makes a new acceptable one with the criteria I asked for earlier. :P

In my opinion that isn't correct. I don't want to take it too far, but hear me out:

Some consistency can be provided by making the network icons not skinnable, but that would affect one of the program's main features: it's customization capabilities. Not a worthy trade-off.

Still, having skinnable icons wouldn't necessarily destroy consistency. What you don't like (or don't adapt to), you don't use. No forcing upon anyone.

Having a default icon which is friendly to color-blind people while still allowing customization would obviously satisfy both sides -- the ones that want customization and a solid general visual aspect (it's clear that, aesthetically, having an unchangeable icon will break the balance between that unchangeable element and the rest of the gui), and the ones that think the precedent factor here is consistency when dealing with such issues.

Well, just my view on it.

Archived