crazygoat wants to help. Should I?

crazygoat

Pretty basic queries, but i didn't find anything searching the forum so...

1. How long should i upload something i've downloaded? What's a respectable time or amount?

2. I think I can manage creating torrents. But when and under what circumstances should I?

I'm kind of new to all this but would like to participate within the community as much as possible. I'm online quite a bit and have sufficient room it seems to offer my assistance. Any info and direction would be greatly appreciated.

crazygoat

General rule for seeding is try to get to a 1:1 ratio (upload as much as you've downloaded) This isn't always possible, so it's really up to you how long you wait.

I'd recommend joining a tracker and discussing with the people there about uploading. First you need a decent upload speed. You may find it hard to upload properly with any less than a 1mbit upload speed on your internet connection.

As far as creating torrents goes, Don't waste your time uploading torrents that are already out there. Try to make something new (or upgrade what's out there). Again though, a tracker would be a better place for this discussion. They can guide you to where you should go and will probably have their own rules for you to follow.

1:1 ratio is all that is expected of you, any more is a bonus so continue as long as you like or can after that.

There are millions of people who don't have a 1Mb upload so to advise not to create torrents if you do not have at least that connection rate is rediculous! (for a good upload the majority ARE patient)

If you wish to create one consider the following.:

Will it be something that is wanted?

Is there a better one out there? (always pays to search first.)

Can I afford to tie up the bandwidth to seed it? (you don't need to max it out but assign it a limit that you can afford to allow you to continue using your connection for other things)

I would never deter anyone from uploading if that is what they wish to do, I would also reccommend they use the "Initial Seed" option if they didn't have the bandwith available.

Archived