µTorrent Server 3.0 alpha build 27079 (for Linux) - x86

Firon

It does not read the updated .conf file for me at all. Once settings.dat is created, it overrides anything .conf says, even with root ./utserver.

See the section named Reloadable Settings (pages 11-12) in the document distributed in the docs directory of the distribution archive. It lists the settings that will always be read from utserver.conf even if there exists a settings.dat.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the linux server shares codebase with other version is it possible to take the webui.zip from a Mac and use it on ubuntu linux installation?

I am trying to activate the feature that allows me to change the location of the downloaded file via the context menu.

Or do I just need to wait for a newer release?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very happy with the current release (thanks everyone). But state_cmd scripts complete but are not properly handled. They execute and then become defunct processes. Since there are a lot of state changes per torrent, this can result in a lot of defunct processes laying around.

I'm using the latest build (25053) on Ubuntu 11.10 32 bit version. Others have described the problem here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=616522#p616522

It would seem that the only fix is to restart the utserver every so often, which is undesirable.

If this bug could be put on list to fix, that'd be great.

Thanks,

Matt

state_cmd scripts complete but are not properly handled. They execute and then become defunct processes. Since there are a lot of state changes per torrent, this can result in a lot of defunct processes laying around.

If this bug could be put on list to fix, that'd be great.

It's not a matter of putting this bug on a list. If I could reproduce it, I could work on it. I try what others try, but I don't see the zombies.

state_cmd scripts complete but are not properly handled. They execute and then become defunct processes. Since there are a lot of state changes per torrent' date=' this can result in a lot of defunct processes laying around.

If this bug could be put on list to fix, that'd be great.[/quote']

It's not a matter of putting this bug on a list. If I could reproduce it, I could work on it. I try what others try, but I don't see the zombies.

I see. Well you might be able to reproduce it if you have a 32 bit version of Ubuntu 11.10 (latest). Install Ubuntu from CD. Download utorrent. Realize it won't run until you install libssl.so.0.9.8. Install that version of libssl via apt-get. Test calling an external .sh script on state change.

Thanks,

Matt

On a separate note, I've found that utorrent crashes on me with some regularity. From my syslog:

Nov 7 10:20:17 MediaServer kernel: [329506.117529] utserver[24994]: segfault at 18 ip 08060152 sp bfb447c0 error 4 in utserver[8048000+b9000]

Whenever I try to restart it, I get the above error. The utserver.log file is of no help as this is all it ever prints out:

[19:59:12] Using locale en_US.UTF-8

[19:59:12] total physical memory -1 max disk cache 33554432

[19:59:16] Loaded ipfilter.dat (269786 entries)

[19:59:16] IPv6 is installed

I'm running a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.10, 32 bit. I cannot restart utserver without it crashing with the same seg fault until I delete my resume.dat. Though today I found that this seems to be related to the scenario when a seeding torrent's corresponding torrent file gets deleted while the torrent is still seeding. I realize this might cause a problem, but a seg fault and then no way of starting it back up is really unexpected.

I'll try to make sure the torrent files don't get deleted while the file is seeding, but this sounds like something can be handled more gracefully.

Thanks,

Matt

I have the same problem like skyy99 ( zombies after script executed on complete ).

And also some torrent names ( folders, torrent files ) in russian turns to ???????. But the strange thing that not all of them, and in WebUI they readable.

Ubuntu 11.04 32 bit, utserver 3.0-25053

I would think I (and many) never got the problem skyy99 have since utorrent server runs 24/7 on our servers ?

I have tried to twist my brain to think anything that could be a nice feature and I only came up with two things :

1: Using scheduler : It would have been nice to be able to right-click on a (urgent) torrent and select to bypass the scheduler. (as Force-start most often do not start it and if it does, only on slow speed)

2: RRS Download notify.

Hopefully sometimes in the future :)

And many thanks for a great Linux torrent server !

Best regards

Morten

Using 25053 build on 64 bit architecture, and everything works fine except that it's using lots of cpu. Runs 24/7, no crash at all. Great speed. What might cause that utorrent uses so much cpu ?

I tried the native 64 bit version, downloads are very very slow. Don't know why ... might be that my system uses more recent libraires than what's required. When will you update it ?

I'd like to know if the development is still going on ... last update was at the beginning of the year !

I'd like to know if the development is still going on ... last update was at the beginning of the year !

Development is still going on. Mostly, development is generic since uTorrent Server shares much of its code with other products. I have added some server-specific stuff as well. I have not had the time to run stress tests on a candidate build since there are other projects here. Some delay is from seeing some bugs that we later resolve, so in some ways not distributing a new release saves you from learning work arounds for new bugs.

Since the linux server shares codebase with other version is it possible to take the webui.zip from a Mac and use it on ubuntu linux installation?

I am trying to activate the feature that allows me to change the location of the downloaded file via the context menu.

Or do I just need to wait for a newer release?

I can confirm this works; I took the webui.zip from the lastest and greatest windows build and replaced the linux one with it. This is freaking awesome!! Its like I have a new version of uTorrent since I can only use it headless on linux. I can't believe how improved the UI is compared to the version shipped with the last linux build.

For those interested, it has almost everything in there that the windows version does, including RSS editor and full configuration menu. Only thing missing at first glance is the ability to 'Advanced -> Set download location...'; once it has that I will be very happy (even more than now hehe).

I can confirm this works; I took the webui.zip from the lastest and greatest windows build and replaced the linux one with it. This is freaking awesome!! Its like I have a new version of uTorrent since I can only use it headless on linux.

You may find some subtle bugs or missing functionality. Right now' date=' if the Mac's webui.zip is derived from what I think it is, there is a different index.html for each product, which defines certain variables that help identify the product on which it should run, so there may be some unexpected deficiencies, but my guess is that they will be either entirely cosmetic or relatively minor.

I can't believe how improved the UI is compared to the version shipped with the last linux build.

The next release of uTorrent Server will have this web UI, or something roughly equivalent (with RSS support, etc.).

I can confirm this works; I took the webui.zip from the lastest and greatest windows build and replaced the linux one with it. This is freaking awesome!! Its like I have a new version of uTorrent since I can only use it headless on linux.

You may find some subtle bugs or missing functionality. Right now' date=' if the Mac's webui.zip is derived from what I think it is, there is a different index.html for each product, which defines certain variables that help identify the product on which it should run, so there may be some unexpected deficiencies, but my guess is that they will be either entirely cosmetic or relatively minor.

I can't believe how improved the UI is compared to the version shipped with the last linux build.

The next release of uTorrent Server will have this web UI, or something roughly equivalent (with RSS support, etc.).

I used the latest windows webui.zip since it seemed to be the most recent. Most everything seems to work, but there are very few things that don't as you suggested would not, but all in all I am very satisfied until a new build comes out.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, there seems to be a bug with the run program functionality. Regardless of what program I call or which parameters I call the program with (e.g. %D %I, etc.), the _first_ parameter is never passed to the calling program. So I pass an additional parameter to my program as a work around.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

For the zombie processes issues, I'd like to give you as complete a bug report as I can come up with in the hopes that you can reproduce it.

My version of utorrent server:

root@heloise:/home/utorrent/utserver# ./utserver -usage

server started - using locale en_US.UTF-8

300B (25053) 2011-03-08 00:11:48 +0000 (Tue, 08 Mar 2011)

my script to start utserver:

UTHOME=/home/utorrent/utserver

exec su utserver -c "$UTHOME/utserver -configfile $UTHOME/utserver.conf -settingspath $UTHOME/config -logfile $UTHOME/logs/ut.log -daemon"

my server directory layout:

http://pastebin.com/B7Y01JHE

Linux version (debian 6.0.3 32-bit with 256MB of RAM) and ps listing showing zombie processes:

http://pastebin.com/JfauX26m

here the server has only been running for 24 minutes. All the zombie notify.sh processes are times that I got a notification from the server but chose not to send it out via e-mail. The zombie sendmail is because I exec sendmail instead of running it in a sub-process (an attempt to try to get around the zombie process issue that didn't do me any good).

My utserver.conf:

http://pastebin.com/fH1bghB4

The state_cmd in that file is not the one the server actually runs. Although state_cmd is supposed to be on the list of things that settings.dat picks up, it doesn't in my case :( The actual command is the same as the one in the .conf file but with less arguments:

The relevant bits copy and pasted from settings.dat:

:state_cmd81:/home/utorrent/notify.sh bug_workaround "N%N" "S%S" "M%M" "K%K" "F%F" "D%D" "P%P"

Notification shell script:

http://pastebin.com/deVVdven

Other relevant facts:

My utserver is running inside a 32-bit VM on my 64-bit linux box, since you recommended 32-bit linux for now (and it worked well for me since I ran uTorrent for windows the same way). I would be happy to give you the VM if it would help. It's a kvm VM and is ~2GB.

The VM stores all its data on the host server via a samba share (the /fdrive that the conf file refers to is that share). Again, that's the way my windows uTorrent worked so I just carried it over to utserver.

I think that's about it for my actual bug report. Now for my opinions :-)

1) I love utserver the way it is (other than this bug, of course), with possibly an updated webui and core for RSS support. It's fast, uses less memory and is more reliable than my windows version (which may be due to a bad VM). I've never had it crash, although I do restart it every couple of days due to the zombie process issue.

2) I believe a workable quick solution for this issue would be to add something like this:

#include <sys/types.h>#include <sys/wait.h>
while( waitpid( -1, NULL, WNOHANG ) > 0 );

(or, more clearly):

int childPid = 0;do {	childPid = waitpid( -1, NULL, WNOHANG );} while( childPid > 0 );

right above where you call fork() or system() or however you call the state_cmd. This isn't ideal - you'd still be leaving one zombie process around. But under normal circumstances (if the children finish fast enough) you'd leave at most one, which would be a huge improvement over what I'm seeing right now.

Again, thank you very much for making uTorrent server. It's siomplified my bittorrent life a great deal over having to restart my windows VM all the time (or deal with the hassle of trying to rebuild it).

How to install µTorrent Server 3.0 in Ubuntu 11.10???

Help me please!

Here is what i did:

Note: You need to replace "yourusername" with username in your Linux, also folder ".utorrent" you may choose different

1: Copy the extracted files into ./home/yourusername/.utorrent

2:Create an upstart script config:

sudo nano /etc/init/utorrent.conf

3:Insert:

description "utorrent startup script"

author "Alanw"

start on (local-filesystems and started dbus and stopped udevtrigger)

stop on runlevel [016]

script

cd /home/yourusername/.utorrent

exec su yourusername -c "/home/yourusername/.utorrent/utserver"

end script

4: Last step is to finalize the upstart script:

sudo ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/utorrent

From this moment you can run utorrent-server as a daemon by

sudo start utorrent

or stop it with

sudo stop utorrent

And with next reboot you will have it automatocly started.

I hope it will works well for you too

Hi, thanks for a great server with a really nice UI. Just to let you know (and maybe help out other users), the server appears to be linked against libssl.so.0.9.8 and libcrypto.so.0.9.8, but these aren't available on my system - I have version 1.0.0 of both these libs so utserver won't load without some tweaking. Is it possible for you to link against libssl.so and libcrypto.so in the next release? On the majority of systems these are symlinked to the most recent installed version.

If anyone is getting errors about missing libs when starting utserver, you can fix it by creating symlinks to the location of the libs on your system in the same directory as utserver, after which you can use ld-linux.so.2 to launch the server. For example:

cd utserverln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so ./libssl.so.0.9.8ln -s /usr/lib/libcrypto.so ./libcrypto.so.0.9.8
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --library-path ./ ./utserver <utserver args>

Almost a year without updates... seriously? I was worried about the move to paid solutions and now it just confirms it - lesser projects just get cast away.

According to some posts before a lot of code is shared so it should be progressing at the same speed as other platforms but is it? I still have high CPU usage problems and outdated official webui interface. What about a non-server version?

I still have some hope to see some progress in the near future but it is getting smaller and smaller :(

The really bad thing is, that right in this thread even Moderators kept confirming that development is still going on.

But this is increasingly implausible. I would even go so far as to say it's dishonest to keep promising new versions for the community, when clearly uTorrent for Linux doesn't seem to be a priority and/or under active development.

A year without any news or any new release is a joke (meanwhile competitors keep churning out multiple new releases), and there won't be any new releases anytime soon - that's what my gut feeling tells me. What a mess...

Archived