µTorrent Server 3.0 alpha build 27079 (for Linux) - x86

Firon

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-- 2011-02-17: Version 3.0 alpha (build 24733)

- Fix: Incorporated bug fixes from generic code

- Change: The usage argument now also reports product version information

- Feature: Added Changes.txt to the archive distributed for this product, so that users would have a list of changes made to parts of code shared with other products

- Fix: Stopped requiring that /etc/fstab not be empty, so that program will run on certain VMs

I looked this morning at the changes.txt, there is among other things:

- Fix: don't delete files when 'download to' and 'move to' directories are the same

New version up!

:D Excellent! Thanks! :D

Up and running fine so far.

Just testing the:

- Fix: don't delete files when 'download to' and 'move to' directories are the same

Hoping to confirm it works in my case!

Once again, thanks!!

:cool:

Update: Test 1 - File finished downloading, save-in & move-to (via label) set the same, worked flawlessly!

running the current build (24733), i have the following problem:

whilst downloading torrents that contain only a single file works fine, adding torrents that contain folders shows the following behavior: the topmost directory of the torrent isn't created in my download destination directory, any second or third level directories however are.

in terms of directory settings, my utserver.conf reads only this:

dir_root: /media/dl/bt/

dir_active: /media/dl/bt/

no on-completion-moving or anything, files stay wherever they were created

fs: /dev/sda6 on /media/dl type ext4 (rw,grpid,commit=0)

rights: drwxrwxrwx 8 bogos plugdev 12K 2011-03-04 02:13 /media/dl/bt/

consider a torrent that would usually create folders/files:

/media/dl/bt/torrentname/file1.txt

/media/dl/bt/torrentname/folder1/file2.txt

/media/dl/bt/torrentname/folder2/file3.txt

utorrent server instead creates this following folder structure:

/media/dl/bt/file1.txt

/media/dl/bt/folder1/file2.txt

/media/dl/bt/folder2/file3.txt

plus an additional file /media/dl/bt/bt that has zero bytes

rights of /media/dl have been set to 777 for test purposes, evidently utorrent server can write to it, it just doesn't properly create folders. have tried this using torrent file add as well as torrent url add using both the webui from the .tar.gz and the WIP one. verbose log files don't seem to have anything relevant in them. halp.

running the current build (24733), i have the following problem:

whilst downloading torrents that contain only a single file works fine, adding torrents that contain folders shows the following behavior: the topmost directory of the torrent isn't created in my download destination directory, any second or third level directories however are.

I test this version since Monday and I do not have that problem.

I download a multifile torrent and I have had the structure:

/ home/utorrent/DATA/completes/Autres/torrentname/files1.txt

/ home/utorrent/DATA/completes/Autres/torrentname/files2.txt

ps: I use the field "Apply label", and I have no example with multiple levels of file

edit: Correction: I also have a subfolder:

/ home/utorrent/DATA/completes/Autres/torrentname/dir1/files3.txt

Wow, you need glibc 2.11 minimum with the new version? If there is anything I don't touch in my Linux server, glibc is going to be high on the list.

This excludes me from using it as well, at least until CentOS updates to 6.0, which uses glibc 2.12. Is there a specific reason why this is being compiled with library requirements that aren't supported by many stable server distributions? Limiting the user base to cutting edge desktop distributions seems to be short-sighted.

Wow' date=' you need glibc 2.11 minimum with the new version? If there is anything I don't touch in my Linux server, glibc is going to be high on the list.[/quote']

This excludes me from using it as well, at least until CentOS updates to 6.0, which uses glibc 2.12. Is there a specific reason why this is being compiled with library requirements that aren't supported by many stable server distributions? Limiting the user base to cutting edge desktop distributions seems to be short-sighted.

Well, just today I reinstall my VPS with Fedora 12 (which comes with glibc 2.11) and all is fine again. Cannot really wait for CentOS 6 to come out.

I hope future builds of utserver will not go higher than that though.

Thanks for uTorrent Linux release ! After installing everything I need in my Ubuntu "server" (desktop version) I finally had the problem that all torrent client I can find with web gui had a poor download speed. The µTorrent Server alpha (3.0 build 24733) does not !

This saves me from Windows 7 on my small ITX server :)

My only problem is that some torrents that would normally create a folder in "new downloads" folder does not. And when that torrent is finished it moves the whole "new downloads" folder to the "finish" folder, containing also the half finish downloads. Result is that all torrents downloading fails since the "new downloads" folder with all content is moved to "finish" folder. So here it stops, with "failed" info on all active torrents except the one that just finished. So moving folder back and force re-check is the only option to get things back working when this happens.

I would think the problem is conversion issues between Linux folders and the torrent folder format ?

My only problem is that some torrents that would normally create a folder in "new downloads" folder does not. And when that torrent is finished it moves the whole "new downloads" folder to the "finish" folder, containing also the half finish downloads. Result is that all torrents downloading fails since the "new downloads" folder with all content is moved to "finish" folder. So here it stops, with "failed" info on all active torrents except the one that just finished. So moving folder back and force re-check is the only option to get things back working when this happens.

An engineer here found the cause of this problem, and fixed it. I was going to start testing today, but I'm still waiting for a code review on a fix for a race condition I discovered last Friday that causes a crash when adding torrents. Once the latter fix is reviewed and committed, and nightly builds/tests pass, I'll be starting a stress test on the next revision, which I would expect to be released next Monday, March 14.

An engineer here found the cause of this problem, and fixed it. I was going to start testing today, but I'm still waiting for a code review on a fix for a race condition I discovered last Friday that causes a crash when adding torrents. Once the latter fix is reviewed and committed, and nightly builds/tests pass, I'll be starting a stress test on the next revision, which I would expect to be released next Monday, March 14.

Thank you for that news, you just made my day :)

ps: I use the field "Apply label", and I have no example with multiple levels of file

/ home/utorrent/DATA/completes/Autres/torrentname/dir1/files3.txt

I had the problem today:

I have a torrent with a label, instead of creating:

/home/utorrent/DATA/completes/label/torrentname/filesX.txt

he has created:

/home/utorrent/DATA/completes/label/incoming/filesX.txt

and it has to moved all the contents of incoming, blocking the other torrents.

Many thanks ! I really look forward to next release. I was "this" close to use Windows on my server (like the old one) after I found that uTorrent really was the only alternative.

I will certainly help where/if I can to keep uTorrent bug free in the future :)

ps: I use the field "Apply label"' date=' and I have no example with multiple levels of file

/ home/utorrent/DATA/completes/Autres/torrentname/dir1/files3.txt[/quote']

I had the problem today:

I have a torrent with a label, instead of creating:

/home/utorrent/DATA/completes/label/torrentname/filesX.txt

he has created:

/home/utorrent/DATA/completes/label/incoming/filesX.txt

and it has to moved all the contents of incoming, blocking the other torrents.

I would think this is a variant of the same problem as I have described above. Move torrents that are not finish back to input folder and force a re-check. There is a good chance for a bugfix on monday !

I would think this is a variant of the same problem as I have described above. Move torrents that are not finish back to input folder and force a re-check. There is a good chance for a bugfix on monday !

Yes, I think so too.

I will test it as soon as next release will be:)

Once the latter fix is reviewed and committed, and nightly builds/tests pass, I'll be starting a stress test on the next revision, which I would expect to be released next Monday, March 14.

The fix was reviewed and committed yesterday, the nightly builds/tests succeeded/passed, I started a stress test just now. If everything goes well, next release should be Monday, March 14.

With the Glib 2.11 requirement the UTserver no longer works on server linux distrubutions?

anyway I see it, there is no workaround on my Debian Lenny server edition, since the specific GLIB version is missing.

seems I'll have to stay behind the 3.0 release. byebye updates.

In any case it had a good run. And heck, it provides just the functionality I need I guess.

Seems everything seems to rotate around flashy shiny linuxes like Ubuntu and Fedora.

I'm keeping my debian lenny tho; thank you Very Much. ;)

With the Glib 2.11 requirement the UTserver no longer works on server linux distrubutions?

anyway I see it, there is no workaround on my Debian Lenny server edition, since the specific GLIB version is missing.

Release archives are built and unit and system tests are run on Ubuntu 10.10 and Debian Lenny. The Debian Lenny VM I'm using to build has:

# dpkg -l | grep "C Library"

ii libc6 2.7-18lenny6 GNU C Library: Shared libraries

ii libc6-dev 2.7-18lenny6 GNU C Library: Development Libraries and Hea

ii libc6-xen 2.7-18lenny6 GNU C Library: Shared libraries [Xen version

ii locales 2.7-18lenny6 GNU C Library: National Language (locale) da

#

Is 2.7 early enough? If it would be useful, I'll see about releasing the Debian Lenny builds as well as the Ubuntu builds for next release (although the Debian Lenny build won't be stress tested this time since I don't have a local machine running Lenny - it is the identical code and revision as is built on Ubuntu). Post if releasing this Debian build would help.

Seems everything seems to rotate around flashy shiny linuxes like Ubuntu and Fedora.

My intent in keeping up with upgrades is more to obtain fixes for security problems. Although, I'm not tracking specific open-source products to see if upgrades do in fact resolve security issues, and I don't expect to have time to do so. Sometimes upgrading is beneficial for obtaining bug fixes, especially for gcc.

I'm OK with the "don't fix it if it isn't broken" way, but I also consider security vulnerabilities to be evidence of breakage and worth an upgrade.

Is 2.7 early enough?

CentOS/RHEL 5 and other derivatives are using glibc-2.5. To throw some numbers out there, CentOS/RHEL holds a 44.1% market share for commercial Linux server distributions. A large number of people, myself included, use at home what they do at work. Excluding such a technically savvy base from being able to use uTorrent Server seems to be misguided. While I can appreciate your assertions regarding security updates, I am unaware of any that require uTorrent Server to be built with such relatively new versions of glibc.

Certainly it would be unwise to support ancient distributions using outdated libraries, but you're excluding current ones with massive market share. If the intent is to get uTorrent Server used by a large number of Linux users, which I assume it is, then perhaps you can reconsider your desire to build it using libraries only available on cutting edge desktop distributions.

CentOS/RHEL 5 and other derivatives are using glibc-2.5.

I am looking into building a VM for CentOS 5.5; I expect that to be the hard part, since I think I can easily set up builds/tests using the remote build/test system once I create the image.

I am looking into building a VM for CentOS 5.5; I expect that to be the hard part, since I think I can easily set up builds/tests using the remote build/test system once I create the image.

I created a CentOS (5.4) VM image, and hooked it into the remote build/test system. I'll review the results of the nightly builds/tests tomorrow morning.

The utserver has been working very well for us for a few weeks now. Thanks for all the hard work!

The one feature we are missing is status messages from the trackers. For instance if there is a wait time in effect, or if this version of the client is banned, there is currently no way to see these types of messages. It would be extremely useful for troubleshooting purposes if we could see the error messages from the trackers.

Hopefully the utserver team will be able to incorporate this feature into an upcoming release!

Thanks,

~ZA

Archived