µTorrent Server 3.0 alpha build 27079 (for Linux) - x86

Firon

Wow, it's been a month since I've shown up here. I'll catch up.

For the zombie processes issues, I'd like to give you as complete a bug report as I can come up with in the hopes that you can reproduce it.

OK - that may help.

exec su utserver -c "$UTHOME/utserver -configfile $UTHOME/utserver.conf -settingspath $UTHOME/config -logfile $UTHOME/logs/ut.log -daemon"

I have one idea: do you still get zombies if you run utserver without the -daemon option?

My utserver is running inside a 32-bit VM on my 64-bit linux box, since you recommended 32-bit linux for now (and it worked well for me since I ran uTorrent for windows the same way). I would be happy to give you the VM if it would help. It's a kvm VM and is ~2GB.

There is a 64-bit Linux archive available on the forum (Firon posted it) - you could try that.

The VM stores all its data on the host server via a samba share (the /fdrive that the conf file refers to is that share). Again, that's the way my windows uTorrent worked so I just carried it over to utserver.

I think it would be better to have torrent files and data files on drives local to the VM and machine.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost a year without updates... seriously? I was worried about the move to paid solutions and now it just confirms it - lesser projects just get cast away.

I believe the last update (for 64-bit) was last summer, but your main point is valid that it has been a long time between updates.

According to some posts before a lot of code is shared so it should be progressing at the same speed as other platforms but is it? I still have high CPU usage problems and outdated official webui interface. What about a non-server version?

It is progressing because the code it shares is progressing, and it does use lots of shared code, so it not only improves but also gets caught up in new generic bugs.

One issue is taking the time to run stress tests on a release candidate amid all the other demands for time. Another issue is there are bugs introduced since last June that are still not resolved; not a huge number, but there are some.

A non-server version would need some sort of UI. Right now there's even less likelihood of a native GUI version since there's not enough time to update the web-based server as frequently as I would like.

The really bad thing is, that right in this thread even Moderators kept confirming that development is still going on.

But this is increasingly implausible. I would even go so far as to say it's dishonest to keep promising new versions for the community, when clearly uTorrent for Linux doesn't seem to be a priority and/or under active development.

The Share team is using uTorrent Server as part of the Share system. I've helped them configure their servers so they get better results. There is still interest in server development, but it is lower priority than other products right now.

I believe the last update (for 64-bit) was last summer, but your main point is valid that it has been a long time between updates.

Oh, I see, so it's just half a year without any updates. I guess that makes it perfectly fine then... :(

A non-server version would need some sort of UI. Right now there's even less likelihood of a native GUI version since there's not enough time to update the web-based server as frequently as I would like.

"As frequently as you would like?" - that has to be the euphemism of the day.

I'm sorry, I stop being unnecessarily snarky. How about a serious answer whether we can look forward to an updated server version in the next six months - or should we look for alternatives?

True, the x64 client has been posted some months after the last x86 release but:

1) why an updated x86 build hadn't been posted WITH the x64 one?

2) giving away frequent updates makes the devs work simpler: more feedback -> less work for them.

@benn0: I'm planning to develop an uTorrent Server GUI. It can be programmed fairly easily though the API. ;)

I'm sorry' date=' I stop being unnecessarily snarky. How about a serious answer whether we can look forward to an updated server version in the next six months - or should we look for alternatives?[/quote']

I don't have that answer. That decision is not up to me. Your frustration is understandable.

However, while engineering continues to make improvements to the code shared by uTorrent Server, the Windows GUI client, the Mac client, and the embedded products, putting out an update of uTorrent Server is lower in priority. The part of that I agree with is that there is some rework of some generic code that is currently negatively affecting operation of uTorrent Server, so I'd rather not release something that still has some known problems that appear to be significant to some of the uTorrent Server user base.

There are plans to hire additional engineering staff; I hope that will provide enough resources to stress test a new release of uTorrent Server that doesn't have the above bugs and that is tested on 32- and 64-bit Ubuntu and Debian.

1) why an updated x86 build hadn't been posted WITH the x64 one?

2) giving away frequent updates makes the devs work simpler: more feedback -> less work for them.

1) It takes additional time to test additional configurations, so I didn't have the time then to run tests on the 32-bit builds.

2) I have found this to be as you say - for example, some of the Russian uTorrent Server users who use the Cyrillic character set(s) found problems with localization in code shared with the uTorrent Mac GUI client, so by promptly working with the uTorrent Server user base (who typically has a good level of technical knowledge and ability) we were able to resolve a problem that also affected the Mac client (which has many more users than uTorrent Server) before its release. I present this sort of example when I am in project prioritization meetings. However, there are many projects here and limited resources.

I'd would like to know when we will expect to see another release of the x86 version of utorrent server or at least a status update to know what needs to be done to make a release.

I am asking this as I feel the current x86 version is quite buggy and an update would fix at least few of the problems (e.g. I find the webgui abit buggy in google chrome (change priority doesn't work, adding a magnet link seems and downloading it seems to not show the file list without refreshing the webgui) and I lost 30GB of usage from the "out of space and download forever" bug.

I'm just abit disappointed at the quality of utorrent server at the moment, despite that I am pleased with the speeds and the fact I can run the server headlessly, and the small size of the program.

Please give me a status update!

Thanks,

Adding magnet links isn't going to show the file list in any client.

Why?

Because you don't have the .torrent file until you obtain the .torrent file from one of the other peers in that specific torrent swarm.

No need to refresh the webui.

Why?

Because you don't have the .torrent file until you obtain the .torrent file from one of the other peers in that specific torrent swarm.

I know this, but even when the torrent file has been obtained from the other peers it will not show in the file list.... until I refresh the webgui. The file list doesn't seem to refresh on the fly!

I usually wait until the webgui tells me the size isn't 0.00kb and then refresh it because it should show the file list at that point.

I double checked just now and no it doesn't update the file list until I refresh the webgui... at least not in the x86 version using google chrome.

EDIT: Doesn't appear to in Iceweasel (Debian rebranded firefox) which seems to work best with the webgui, also sorry this kinda went off topic in the announcements section.

Why?

I know this' date=' but even when the torrent file has been obtained from the other peers it will not show in the file list.... until I refresh the webgui. The file list doesn't seem to refresh on the fly!

I usually wait until the webgui tells me the size isn't 0.00kb and then refresh it because it should show the file list at that point.

I double checked just now and no it doesn't update the file list until I refresh the webgui... at least not in the x86 version using google chrome.[/quote']

Did you try using the latest webui for the windows/mac version? I use it and it is really nice compared to what shipped. I have a post in here about it about a month back.

Why?

I know this' date=' but even when the torrent file has been obtained from the other peers it will not show in the file list.... until I refresh the webgui. The file list doesn't seem to refresh on the fly!

I double checked just now and no it doesn't update the file list until I refresh the webgui... at least not in the x86 version using google chrome.[/quote']

Did you try using the latest webui for the windows/mac version? I use it and it is really nice compared to what shipped. I have a post in here about it about a month back.

I'll try that... Thanks.

Why?

just replace the zip like follows:

-r--r--r-- 1 jason jason 322296 2011-06-11 05:01 webui-linux-25053.zip

-rw-r--r-- 1 jason jason 367290 2011-11-07 22:35 webui-utorrent3-25824.zip

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2011-11-18 05:54 webui.zip -> webui-utorrent3-25824.zip

Most features work in the new webui, very few don't. It is really nice! Good luck.

just replace the zip like follows:

-r--r--r-- 1 jason jason 322296 2011-06-11 05:01 webui-linux-25053.zip

-rw-r--r-- 1 jason jason 367290 2011-11-07 22:35 webui-utorrent3-25824.zip

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 2011-11-18 05:54 webui.zip -> webui-utorrent3-25824.zip

Most features work in the new webui, very few don't. It is really nice! Good luck.

Yeah seems to be alot better (fixes the gui issues anyways), only issue now is I think the out of space error might still occur because it is related to the backend, I've worked around the problem for now by creating a cronjob which kills utserver if the server hits 100% space used.

Thanks for the help and info.

Hi I'm running utserver and think its great, I just have a few questions:

- Is this ever expected to come out of Alpha?! Three years is a long Alpha!

- Will this ever have the remote.utorrent.com remote access capability? I have an Android phone and would love to be able to use the native app rather than a browser. I know from reading that the functionality exists, but it just needs a registration process in the gui.

- Is there a better linux headless torrent client..... I'll answer this, No, great job guys!

Yes and no... I'm guessing you have never been a developer on a big project which gets field tested. Getting quality bug reports from people and sorting through all the duplicate/junk bug reports adds a lot of work. A majority of the time the user does not give enough info and the back and forth to get more info adds a lot. Also there's all the bug reports where someone is just doing something wrong and that wastes developer time. To make it plausible I think a few volunteers (internal and/or external) would have to be chosen to filter and prioritize the bugs being submitted before they even get to developers.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say congrats on the Linux release. uTorrent has been my preferred bit torrent client for Windows for ages but I currently have a Linux server so this is good news for me. I'm currently using Transmission, which is good but lacks a few useful features - the most important of which, for me, is grabbing extra trackers from added duplicate torrents.

However, one thing I do like about Transmission is that I can install Transmission Remote GUI on my Windows clients, which looks and behaves like a local client, except it's simply an interface to the server client. It's like a web GUI but more convenient (IMO).

Just wondering if there's a way to do this with uTorrent, or if there's any plans for such a program?

Thanks!

For those asking about android apps, I use Transdroid. You can grab their APK here: http://www.transdroid.org/. It allows you to access more than just uTorrent for your torrents. I use uTorrent in wine at the moment. I'm still unsure if I want to make the move to the server version (which would be great) due to some of the kinks still being worked out.

Even though utserver is alpha, it's still a stellar piece of software. Yes, the gui is seriously flawed, but it's easy to replace it with another one — http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58156.

Yes, it crashes from time to time, but that's easy to work around. E.g., in my /etc/rc.local:

# uTorrent FTW - this one survives crashes ionice -n 7 -c 3 nice -n 19 su -c 'while [ -d "/home/p2p" ]; do cd /home/p2p; ./utserver; done' p2p &

As you can see, my utserver runs as the user "p2p" directly from the /home/p2p directory, and I've tweaked it to use the least amount of resources, both CPU and disk wise. It starts when the server starts, and it keeps on coming back automatically whenever it might crash.

This has been running fantastic for half a year now. There really aren't any features I'm missing ATM (except for a working file pre-allocation routine, so that I can ditch my slow-ass temporary drive). I use plugins in the browsers on my laptops and my workstation so that I can just right-click a magnet or .torrent link and start it on the server automagically.

For what it's worth, I'm entirely grateful for this release, even if it's half a year old. Whatever kinks are there, they aren't critical, so I'm just gonna be the grateful patient user :) Anyone experiencing serious issues, try and see if it's not resolvable by replacing the GUI or doing a hack like the one I exemplified above.

Hi I'm running utserver and think its great, I just have a few questions:

- Is this ever expected to come out of Alpha?! Three years is a long Alpha!

Right now it seems like a product for more experienced Linux users. I'd like to see some of the bugs resolved that not everyone sees. There isn't a whole lot of push right now to move the product further along a release cycle, even though the product continues to improve because the code it is based on is improving. I can't even say when I'll prepare another release right now because I'm working on other things. Yet, the product is built, unit tested, and system tested nightly so it stays pretty close to releasable. If I had time for a 4-day stress test on multiple platforms (32- and 64-bit, Ubuntu and Debian), I'd provide Firon with an update to post.

- Will this ever have the remote.utorrent.com remote access capability? I have an Android phone and would love to be able to use the native app rather than a browser. I know from reading that the functionality exists, but it just needs a registration process in the gui.

I hooked that up about a month ago as a test (it needed a little bit more than the web UI work, and somebody else updated our new web UI to provide an interface to configure this), but it hasn't been integrated into the code yet. It was about a day's work to do, but it's a matter of my scheduled priorities. It is on the management list of things-to-do, but I've lost track of the priority of that feature.

Getting quality bug reports from people and sorting through all the duplicate/junk bug reports adds a lot of work.

Fortunately, my experience for this product is that many of the reports are useful, and I haven't had to waste much time on unusable reports. Maybe it's because this product requires a bit more experience from the user. Some of the reports have even saved us some trouble on other products that have a larger user base.

Archived