µTorrent Server 3.0 alpha build 27079 (for Linux) - x86

Firon

I've just installed the 23090 build and it is showing radically different network behaviour to the 21886 build I had before. In some respects it seems like the uTP is being excessively sensitive and keeps choking off my bandwidth, and turning off uTP made things a lot better. However, I think the culprit is just tcp_rate_control. Setting this to false seems to cure the problem. I don't know if the setting wasn't working in the 21886 build or whether something is broken in the 23090 build, but they are certainly different. Or maybe uTP bandwidth control wasn't working at all in the earlier build?

I'm trying to keep the branch from which uTorrent server closer to the leading edge of development efforts. As a result, the product will benefit from recent features and bug fixes, but some surprises may be introduced; I'd expect the surprises to be related to performance since the unit and system tests test behavior correctness not speed (although the tests will detect excessively long times to accomplish required tasks). I'll be rebranching soon, and that may pick up further work that reduces the sensitivity you are seeing, since I seem to recall some updates in uTP recently. If the next revision doesn't help, post and I'll add a report to our issue tracking system.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't want to find out that this suggestion is causing more headaches for µTorrent Server devs.

It's OK with me, although mentioning in any web UI-related bug report that you are using a web UI different from what is distributed with the product would keep me from wasting time testing with the wrong web UI (better yet would be if possible to try with the included web UI before reporting). I won't necessarily test other web UIs, but if somehow a server bug is only reproduceable using another web UI, I'd try it.

µTorrent Server's version has since diverged and implemented things in its own way, but they're not greatly divergent enough for the changelog to be irrelevant.

I think developers here are trying to keep the existing HTTP interface the same, adding new actions if new features are needed, although also changing/fixing behavior that we determine to be broken (e.g., the list-dirs action was broken until recently). I'd like to not prevent use of other web UIs.

There are still things that are unimplemented in my version (like the /gui/?action=getversion request used by utserver webui.zip's About dialog), but most of the major elements should be there.

Eventually that action will probably be made to work on all releases, but that isn't the highest priority right now.

I hope that means it is working for everyone, especially those using Cyrillic character sets, for which the problem seemed most obvious.

.......................................................................................................................................................

Previous revisions did have a problem with localization. I haven't heard any reports of localization problems with the latest release; no news can be good news. Sounds like you don't see that problem, which is a good sign.

That's right.Works without any problems with localization and Cyrillic characters to me.

Once again: - Thank you for the great job!

I had tried the uTorrent server a few months back when it was still very new, and have just come back to it again. Love it, great progress thus far.

The lack of HTTPS tracker support is tripping me up a bit, as there are a couple of trackers that https is mandatory for. :(

What are the chances that there's an unofficial / unsupported / hacky way to get HTTPS tracker support (and/or what's the timeline for official support in utserver?)

What are the chances that there's an unofficial / unsupported / hacky way to get HTTPS tracker support (and/or what's the timeline for official support in utserver?)

I don't think there's a target time to support that feature. I've added an item to the issue tracking system, so that people can discuss it at the next planning meeting.

Was trying to down and install windows version under wine when I found this.

Got it up and running in like 2 minutes without even reading the docs.

Awesome work guys, very much appreciated.

Just one question. By-torrent 'Files' details do not change on my webui, i.e. I do not see done rates etc. changing for torrents. Is that something I screw up,or just a next release feature?

When i trying to download torrent from magnet url download started,but few seconds later gives an error.Does anyone else have this problem?(call: - Error opening)

Edit:

So i tryed and this happens only with Ultima WebUI.By integrated in download package WebUI don't have this problem.

Dear All,

I'm a heavy seeder on several private trackers. After lots of consideration I now plan to invest into a larger, industrial grade server, possibly one with external, optically attached extensible storage with capacity exceeding 2TB with SAS HDDs, and 2x Quadcore Xeon CPUs, and 16GB of RAM. I also plan to upgrade my current 1GB sync. connection to 2GB.

Operating system would be CentOS, with custom TCP and IO tuning.

I'm now looking for a suitable seedserver software, which could utilize the given resources, so I was very happy to see that uTorrent finally gotten to a point where there's a native Linux version. I send all my cheers and thanks to the development team on this great improvement.

However, could someone adivse me if this new Linux version would be able to fully utilize the 2x4 CPU cores, the RAM, bandwidth and storage as described above?

Thank you very much!

Hi, guys. I am having problem running this on my CentOS 5.5 32Bit server (it has cPanel/WHM installed).

Version : µTorrent Server alpha (3.0 build 23418)

So I uploaded it to one of the hosting account which is like

/home/user1/public_html/uts

then I did a bash command in the VPS root account

/home/user1/public_html/uts/utserver

and I get this error after the above bash

23rl652.png

the I try to go to http://user1.mydomain.com:8080/gui/ and I got the following error

sdq4s1.png

There are only two files and a folder in the bz2 file I extracted, utserver, webui.zip and docs folder. What am I missing? Is there anything I need to install first for it to work on CentOS servers? I'm trying this on a VPS.

Can I run another webui if this work with same port? For ie. http://user2.mydomain.com:8080/gui/ or I have to use another port this time. If yes, how?

Hi, guys. I am having problem running this on my CentOS 5.5 32Bit server (it has cPanel/WHM installed).

Version : µTorrent Server alpha (3.0 build 23418)

So I uploaded it to one of the hosting account which is like

/home/user1/public_html/uts

then I did a bash command in the VPS root account

/home/user1/public_html/uts/utserver

and I get this error after the above bash

http://i55.tinypic.com/23rl652.png

the I try to go to http://user1.mydomain.com:8080/gui/ and I got the following error

http://screensnapr.com/u/sdq4s1.png

There are only two files and a folder in the bz2 file I extracted, utserver, webui.zip and docs folder. What am I missing? Is there anything I need to install first for it to work on CentOS servers? I'm trying this on a VPS.

Can I run another webui if this work with same port? For ie. http://user2.mydomain.com:8080/gui/ or I have to use another port this time. If yes, how?

Create a config file for it by reading the docs. Otherwise, it will dump the files/settings in your current working directory. it also will look for the webui in the same place.

@LEVAC109: Details on the config file are included in the docs.

This sounds like a contradiction. Why would people who seek a client want to download a server?

A server may be a server in one context, and yet a client in another. This branch of µTorrent is called "Server" because it can be easily run on headless servers, since it doesn't require a native GUI (it serves the GUI over HTTP). All BitTorrent clients act as both clients and servers anyway.

Archived