Port issue?

oao

Your question/s are not specific enough or come close to being nonsense.

Downloading and uploading doesn't CARE whether the connection was made incoming or outgoing. (Just like a telephone that cannot receive calls but can dial out can still talk and listen once a call is successfully made.)

"So if I understand you correctly, I can get a green circle and almost 300kb/s downloads even with the port closed? The latter would indicate that there are many inbound connections, which I doubt would happen with a closed port."

Green circle only means somehow uTorrent got what it *THOUGHT* was an incoming connection. If that's from uTP peers/seeds, it's somewhat true as uTP can use UDP-based NAT hole-punching to burn through a router's firewall. Unfortunately, this is somewhat "spammy" of connections and hit-or-miss. But even still, there may be a >10% success rate with attempts...which can add up and beats having a totally closed port that never lets anything through. Because of its variable success rate, you may see long periods stuck with a yellow light in uTorrent.

Outgoing connections to unfirewalled peers and seeds is not to be taken lightly on busy torrents -- as even if 80% is firewalled, if the torrent swarm has 1000 participants you could still get ~200 outgoing connections.

"Any way, the router firewall is set up to accept uTorrent outbounds at the specific port and any inbounds to that port and Comodo firewall is also set up the same way. So if the port is still closed, how do I figure out what's causing the problem and fix it?"

It is generally a bad idea to limit what outgoing ports uTorrent uses.

What I asked is given that both the router and Comodo firewalls are setup according to instructions and the Setup Guide says port is still closed, what kind of troubleshooting can I do to identify what keeps the port closed?

Given that I get up to 300kb/s on certain downloads, should I just ignore the port test, or would the performance increase even more if the test were to say the port is open?

>>It is generally a bad idea to limit what outgoing ports uTorrent uses.

Perhaps, but isn't it a security precaution? Wouldn't opening more ports permit undesirable access to my system?

Outgoing ports are not a security risk. (access implies incoming)

If there's only two things in between you and the internet and you can't get through, then it's obviously one of them. No troubleshooting needed. One of them isn't set up right.

Make sure you have global rules for utorrent's port as well in comodo. (it needs more than one rule to allow uTorrent)

It can be a risk if there is anything on my computer than try to call out without permission.

I have followed the instructions for the 2Wire router which require only one rule. I found something on the Net about Comodo and set up several global rules. Yet apparently something is off.

Can you refer me to instructions how to set global rules in the 2Wire router and Comodo firewall?

With regards to portforward.com, when I click on 2Wire router it points me to their commercial program. I cannot find any instructions, they only push their program.

You don't understand your firewall. You aren't unblocking all ports when you allow uTorrent to send data on any port. You're only saying that uTorrent.exe has the permission to do so. Any other program "calling out" would be blocked and/or would bring up a question from comodo.

I don't know what Model you have so I can't give you a link directly to the directions you want. Read the page carefully. Look for small continue buttons around the screen, not banner ads that say DOWNLOAD.

As for comodo rules, try this http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=292343#p292343

OK.

There is NOTHING on portforward.com like instructions for the 2Wire 2701HG-B. Any of the Read More links leads to their program. If there is anything more like you suggest, can somebody who knows where it is and how to get there enlighten me?

Anyway, as far as I understand the instructions provided within the router configuration, there are only 2 rules per application if it needs both the UDP and TCP ports, only one if it needs only one. Am I correct that uTorrent needs only UDP? There is no other way or rules required.

I went to the Comodo guide you refer to and try to follow the instructions. As far as I can tell all the author says the rules are *****application-level***** rules for uTorrent.

The first rule (DNS Service) went in OK. But when I tried to add the second rule for uTorrent (Multicast) Comodo would not let me, saying that there was already a uTorrent rule.

Now what?

Update:

I figured out how to create the rules in Comodo and created the exact rules in Ultima's guide.

However, the Setup Guide test still gives me a closed port.

If Ultima's guide is correct, then the problem is not Comodo. It's either the router or something else.

Since I cannot find any info on the portforward.com for the 2Wire, and since there is only one way to forward the port for uTorrent - 1 rule for UDP and one for TCP, which I did - I am stuck.

Any ideas?

Update: I finally found the portforward.com page with instructions for my router (they just put a small link in a corner saying "if you don't wanna buy". Yuckh.

Anyway, the instructions are exactly what I had done. But to be sure I deleted the settings and redid them according to instructions. Port still closed.

I then deactivated each of the running applications (Comodo, Avira, Ad-Aware and Proxomitron) and each time the port was still closed.

Now I am really stuck.

• 1 year later...

On portforward.com choose your router and then in the top right hand corner of the screen it says" Skip this advert" or something alike. Once you click this it will display the router instructions for what you need to do.

It is well hidden. I was confused at first and thought it was just a scam to buy their software.

Archived