Is this some sort of IP cop scam?

VulcanTourist

I've been trying to download a certain torrent, but there's only one person seeding it, and he seems to be crimping the hose for some reason I don't comprehend. The fastest transfer rate I get from him/her is 0.1KB/s, and that's only for at most two seconds at a time. The other peers are apparently being treated to the same thing; we're all just sitting like disciples twiddling our thumbs waiting hopefully for the next tiny packet of manna to fall from heaven.

BitTorrentGrinch.png

Should I be suspicious of this behavior? What do the flags, etc. tell me about the "motivation" of this seeder? Should I cancel it and walk away? uTorrent is telling me it will take 14 weeks to download this 700MB file at this rate... and that's assuming this one seeder doesn't leave the party early.

That seed is on uTorrent v2.0.3, which if it's REALLY unlucky...could be having uTP issues. Try disabling uTP and using just regular TCP to download from it.

And/or...that seed may have really crap settings, such as upload speed max set to 1 KB/sec and trying to upload on 10+ torrents at once.

That seed's ISP may be crippling its BitTorrent uploading as well.

Do I have to kill the connection and reestablish it before a change to uTP takes effect? I disabled uTP, but it's not having an immediate effect.

I exited and restarted uTorrent with uTP disabled, and now that seed is back as a peer, with 0% of the file! :o His client was also now identified differently: as /2.0.3.0, rather than just 2.0.3. And now he's gone again....

Archived