utorrent 2.0.4 installs ask.com plugin despite unchecking that option

kingtut2010

I unchecked all options when installing utorrent v2.0.4 (on top of v2.0.3). Despite that, it installed an ask.com plugin in my Firefox browser, without asking my permission. I don't like the linking of utorrent to ask.com in any respect and consider it underhanded to install such things without user permission. If this continues in a future v2.0.5, I'll have to go looking for a more reliable torrent client...

On further checking, I see that the Ask.com Toolbar was also installed on my computer, without my permission, although I definitely unchecked that option during the installation. This is low down dirty and nefarious stuff, and will ruin utorrent's reputation if it continues.

Sure thing it's underhanded for a software to install things even if the user rejects it, but µTorrent doesn't install the toolbar without user permission. I've tested it numerous times already, on multiple machines with different setups. In fact, I just tried it again right now and reached the very same conclusion. It seems like every time someone comes and makes this same claim, I try it out for myself, but I have still yet to ever manage to get that toolbar inadvertently installed.

The fact that you can't get it to happen on your machines, but it happened on my machine, only indicates that you don't have a system like mine to test. Surely you don't doubt my veracity(?). It happened, no doubt whatsoever in my mind. I'm running XP Home, a Compaq OEM SP1 version from 2003 updated to SP3. Also I installed it on top of utorrent v2.0.3 which might make a difference(?). I'm not familiar with installers or scripts but the utorrent 2.0.4 version installer must be buggy - because this problem didn't happen with v2.0.3 or prior versions. So, are you going to fix it, or not? Of course you can't fix it unless you acknowledge that there's a problem.

All I could do to verify from my end is to completely uninstall utorrent, reinstall v2.0.3, then reinstall v2.0.4 on top of it again, but I don't believe that's necessary. If it happened once, it will almost surely happen again. And it certainly happened!

You're right. I didn't uncheck the 3rd box, which reads:

"I accept the License Agreement and Privacy Policy and want to install the Ask.com Toolbar"

I am so used to accepting license agreements and privacy policies, required whenever any new software is installed, that I did so out of habit - and didn't read further.

Thus, I've now uninstalled everything with RevoUninstaller then reinstalled utorrent v2.0.4 with all of the Ask.com boxes unchecked, and it did not install the Ask.com toolbar this time.

I consider everything related to Ask.com a nuisance! Nobody wants or needs the Ask.com toolbar! Everybody uses Google already, with or without a toolbar. So I strongly encourage utorrent to remove that nuisance nag from its installer.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=56428

It's already been discussed.

As for doubting the veracity of your account... I wasn't doubting the fact that it got installed. I was doubting the fact that µTorrent installed without permission -- which, as you've now discovered, it hasn't. The testy/smug attitude doesn't make anyone want to help, especially when it came from the fact that you weren't actually reading carefully.

Archived