"the system cannot find the file specified" due to illegal characters

maxonemillionone

I tested this torrent. I downloaded it completely with µT 2.0.4 under Vista SP2, no issue.

I'm able to open each MP3 into WMP from µT and still no issue.

The .torrent file is not broken, I have been able to open it with µT, BEncode Editor (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306) and http://torrenteditor.com/.

Maybe an issue with your Win XP...

Hm, it certainly works under Windows 7 here. Testing on Windows XP now... Tested Windows XP w/ SP3, English, NTFS, and no problems either.

Question... are you certain the problem isn't that the resulting full file paths are too long? Windows has problems with paths that are longer than ~256 characters (or is it bytes?) in length.

Some files have a truncated name in the torrent, anyway they are complete and work fine.

Ex.:

[Digital Download]/03 DJ Dan - Seduction (FUKKK OFFF Re.mp3
Rave Is King Remixes [12_ Vinyl - CCM037/01 A1 Rave Is King (Zodiac Cartel Mi.mp3
Sous Acides Club [12_ Vinyl - DGAFAU003]/A1 Suicide Club - Sous Acides Club (.mp3

Yeah, the truncated names aren't an issue. What was more worrying to me was that there are non-printable characters in some of the path names. Example?

Search using RegEx for [^\w\s\\/\`\'\,\.\[\]\(\)\-\_\&\:] on the first torrent, for example. You'll find that it matches "B1 Monosurround - Cocked Locked Re.mp3", which looks innocent enough until you look at it in hex format and notice 20 2D 20 EF BB BF 43. There seem to be 3 "extra" bytes in between the " - " and the "C".

I kinda assumed µTorrent didn't handle it because I didn't feel like testing, but I caved, tried it, and had no problems on this file. So it really looks like it just might be a path length issue (can't really see any other obvious explanation).

So I did a vanilla install of Win 7 I thought it would solve my problems... It hasn't for the most part.

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5410006/VA_-_Electro-House_Collection_2010_vol.3_%5Bmp3_320_kbps%5D

This torrent file is giving me the same error. My idea is I don't have a necessary language pack installed and thus is giving illegal character errors.

@maxonemillionone: It shouldn't be a language pack issue. Windows supports Unicode in its internal subsystems, which is really all that should be needed for these filenames to work. Language packs only change the user interface language -- nothing more.

Given that the only major difference here between us and you is that you're downloading to that Ext2/3 IFS, I'm guessing that may be the problem after all. Have you tried downloading to a native NTFS drive to see if the problem persists?

Archived