Usability Comments on the Alpha

nago

Just going to go down a list of thoughts on the new software.

1) The documentation could be improved slightly; for those of us who have not used WebUI previously, the document line:

'webui_root (string): Default value: "/". If the utserver process also acts as an HTTP server, this value represents the prefix for the web UI. For example, if webui_root is "/foo/", a request for "/foo/bar.html" will make the utserver process return the file bar.html from the webui_dir_files directory.'

Gives the impression that the WebUI is, by default, served out of root instead of /gui/. A little mention that the site is accessed via http://localhost:8080/gui/ would be nice. Along this blurb, listing the default l/p under 'Getting Started' would be nice.

2) The text on the logging parameters was fairly unclear and, after visiting the forums, apparently incorrect anyway.

3) A sample configuration (while apparently unnecessary) would be a nice luxury.

4) The ability to specify the conf file via command line so that configurations and working files can be kept in system locations and utserver may be run as a daemon.

5) In the WebUI: The ability to see the tracker rejection messages like you can in the windows client (So you can tell why a torrent is not loading. These messages do not appear to be logged anywhere otherwise.)

6) In the WebUI: The ability to set download location manually and re-hash like the windows desktop client; sometimes you want to seed from a non-standard directory (How many of us keep our files in the download/incoming directories?)

Just going to go down a list of thoughts on the new software.

1) The documentation could be improved slightly; for those of us who have not used WebUI previously, the document line:

'webui_root (string): Default value: "/". If the utserver process also acts as an HTTP server, this value represents the prefix for the web UI. For example, if webui_root is "/foo/", a request for "/foo/bar.html" will make the utserver process return the file bar.html from the webui_dir_files directory.'

Gives the impression that the WebUI is, by default, served out of root instead of /gui/. A little mention that the site is accessed via http://localhost:8080/gui/ would be nice. Along this blurb, listing the default l/p under 'Getting Started' would be nice.

2) The text on the logging parameters was fairly unclear and, after visiting the forums, apparently incorrect anyway.

3) A sample configuration (while apparently unnecessary) would be a nice luxury.

4) The ability to specify the conf file via command line so that configurations and working files can be kept in system locations and utserver may be run as a daemon.

5) In the WebUI: The ability to see the tracker rejection messages like you can in the windows client (So you can tell why a torrent is not loading. These messages do not appear to be logged anywhere otherwise.)

6) In the WebUI: The ability to set download location manually and re-hash like the windows desktop client; sometimes you want to seed from a non-standard directory (How many of us keep our files in the download/incoming directories?)

1) Who reads documentation? :)

5) Agreed, tracker tab would be nice.

6) Me for one. I copy and paste the file from my download directory into the appropriate directory for that file, keep the file in the download directory for seeding, then delete it and the .torrent file when it's done seeding to my assigned ratio.

Just installed the alpha on my openSUSE 11.2 64 bit system and after correcting my typos and except for a few minor items it is working great!

The minor items I've noticed so far:

Continues to report the status as downloading after switching to seeding only. (Searched and haven't seen this mentioned)

I didn't notice this on the first torrent (didn't pay attention), but on the second I didn't connect to any peers while downloading the torrent.

A trackers and peers tab would be nice.

I'm not ready to completely switch from uT 2.0.4 running in Wine just yet, but will continue testing after reading the documentation to learn more about the client, enable logging and see what gets logged.

Archived