File size???

GODZrus

I have used uTorrent for a long time now and love it, thank you so much.

I had to do a format today and found something that bothers me. I am downloading a very big file, 60.7GBs. I was at 13% on this file when I did the format. I moved the file to a different drive and it took up 60.7GB worth of space. I was at 13% which should of made the file about 8 GB or so. Does uTorrent reserve the space for the entire file at the start of download? If yes then why was the file still the larger size when I moved it? I have continued the download now where it left off.

If it does reserve I have no problem with that and see where it could be handy on someone with drive space problems.

Thank you in advance,

Andy

It allocates the file space as soon as a piece is written to the HD. (unless you tell it to allocate automatically as soon as the torrent starts). So basically 87 percent of that file would have been 00000000. Only the parts you finished would have data on them. A re-check/re-hash, scans the file and compares each section as it goes.

Why would it show the full size when copied and take up the entire 60.7 GB on the new drive when it is not in reality that big? Is it possible to copy allocated space? This seems a little weird to me to be able to do that.

BTW Windows 7 Ultimate, don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply.

Andy

When allocating, it just writes the whole file with 0's. (well not actually that would take too long, but the data under it is garbage anyways so it may as well be) It creates the file to take up all the space it needs before hand. That way it doesn't run into trouble when trying to add pieces later. It can just write them in the spot they belong.

Think of it like a zoning committee for a city. They mark out all the lots but they only get filled in a certain order. Until they're filled the land is just useless. It still takes up space though.

Archived