problem with connecting to SOME pools of leechers

marin

Hi,

here is a problem I have been recently experiencing when seeding:

Problem description: For some torrents uTorrent seems to be not able to establish/maintain connections to the leecher pool of the particular torrent, even though, for example, the leecher pool consists of more than 50-60 peers from various locations.

Problem symptoms: Leechers disappear from peers list right after they have appeared. There seem to be multiple connection attempts to various IPs, all unsuccessfull.

Setup: uTorrent 2.0.4, Windows 7 x86, optical connection with 10-11 MB/s for both DL or UL (DL+UL= 11 MB/s).

To elaborate a little bit on this: I experience no issues with downloading files from various IPs at full speed. The problem occurs only when seeding files and only within the leecher pools of SOME torrents. When this is the case, effectively I cannot upload anything at all for those particular torrents. Also, the problem doesn´t seem to be related to a particular tracker as it has happened so far on every tracker I have tried. All this is valid for completed as well as incompleted downloads.

PEX and DHT are disabled. So far I have tried all "advanced" tweaks posted by Ultima in the stickies above. My settings are also adjusted accordingly. Also, the IP is not known to be a "bad one", which, I think, is also confirmed by the fact that I am able to seed some torrents at full speed towards various geographical locations. (For that matter, I have also played with encryption and random porting without any improvement.)

Thank you in advance for any help!

Marin

PS: I wasn´t sure how to best describe the problem in the subject line, so, among other things, feel free to suggest a better title :)

"PEX and DHT are disabled."

Those are precisely what helps keep a torrent swarm "knit together", whether trackers are present or not. Of course both only work with public torrents.

For such a fast connection, having commercial grade networking is a MUST. Anything less and you'll be seeing numerous inexplicable disconnections and probably speed slowdowns even when you should have sufficient peers connected to keep upload speed maxed out.

I am mostly using private trackers, so unfortunately I am not allowed to use PEX or DHT.

Could you elaborate a little bit on "commercial grade networking". As of now, the network setup here consists only of a box (installed outside by my IPS) and a cable that connects my computer to that box :) Thanks,

Marin

And is that cable Ethernet Cat-6 or better?

Have you tried doing GOOGLE searches for networking issues/problems concerning the LAN controller card the cable plugs into?

Or have you checked if your antivirus/software firewall has issues when used with BitTorrent at high speeds? The vast majority of antivirus and software firewall products on the market will have problems with BitTorrent/uTorrent at >10 MegaBYTES/second speeds...especially if those speeds are in both directions at the same time!

And is that cable Ethernet Cat-6 or better?

Have you tried doing GOOGLE searches for networking issues/problems concerning the LAN controller card the cable plugs into?

Or have you checked if your antivirus/software firewall has issues when used with BitTorrent at high speeds? The vast majority of antivirus and software firewall products on the market will have problems with BitTorrent/uTorrent at >10 MegaBYTES/second speeds...especially if those speeds are in both directions at the same time!

Thanks for your reply! I now see your point. Speeds are actually not that high, in particular they are still far from 10 MB/s in BOTH directions at the SAME time. As already said, its rather DL+UL=11 MB/s, so there is, unfortunately, no way to achieve such traffic.

Yes, the cable connecting my machine with the box outside is a standard ethernet cat-6. Given the speeds, I honestly didn´t and still don´t expect it to be a problem (e.g. noise, bandwidth etc.), but I might be wrong here. Same goes for my NIC. It is a standard broadcom netXtreme card for desktop/mobile. I am not aware of any known issues concerning high traffic. (And yes, I have also googled about it and couldn´t find anything.) At least, in theory, it shouldn´t have any problems. As for the box outside, I don´t know anything, not even type and model. Besides, I can´t do anything about it.

Yes, I had already checked AV and firewall. AV is Kaspersky. I had tried completely disabling it for a while (including its NDIS 6 filter), no improvement whatsoever. Firewall is just the standard windows 7 firewall. I had already tried disabling it, no improvement there either.

AFAIK, peers who have selected to download only portions of the files also appear as leechers and hence give wrong impression about disconnecting in the peer list. This makes sense for packs, but it doesn´t account for integral files (say a single rip, or a .rar file).

Maybe it is just my ISP expanding and throttling whenever and wherever needed...

Archived