Why can't I seed without leeching/downloading?

rectec794613

Hey everybody. I'm downloading a torrent with a bad seed/leech ratio and I'd like to just cap my downloading or stop it completely, and just seed. Every time I cap the downloading speed, the upload speed drops very low, sometimes to zero. I wanna give more than I receive, so maybe I can get the torrent back on it's feet.

Is there any way to do this?

If you are continuing to download the torrent faster than you're uploading, there's not a major problem except for perceptions.

Either set all of uTorrent to seed-only mode a few hours using Scheduler, or mark all the files in that 1 torrent to "Don't Download" for awhile. That will stop downloading completely.

Or put the torrent to HIGH priority while setting everything else to LOW priority.

Possibly lower everything else's upload slots to as low as 1 each.

Or even stop most/all other torrents.

Thanks for replying. Are you sure that selecting "don't download" will keep the upload going? BTW it's not that there's no one to seed to, it's just that limiting the dl speed makes the ul speed plummet. It's sorta like the feature that slows the leeching when you stop seeding. (I forget what it's called.)

When you don't download then whoever would have been uploading to you would instead have extra bandwidth to give to the other peers on the torrent, If those peers are getting it from that person then they don't need it from you. All you're doing is removing yourself as a link in the chain.

Not really. You're all waiting on the same few seeders, so until one person finishes everyone will be very close in the pieces they have, whether you're in the swarm or not. It may actually improve overall swarm speed to have you downloading as well. But like I said before until the seeds finish the initial upload it doesn't really matter who's downloading.

Archived