XP SP3 port forwarding, easily fixed (not)

Registered

Ok so after try number two last go months ago. This time was at little longer and yet all i find is this.

With usb modem or without usb modem using a netgear router.

Netgear router (have tried all combinations of the following)

nzb active

router service ports forwarded

exceptions set in xp firewall

xp firewall set for port forward

no xp firewall

with and without another network fileshare etc set

Usb Modem

exceptions set in xp firewall

xp firewall set for port forward

no xp firewall

utorrent

nat-pmp

unpnp

firewall exception

All tests with bare install no other software installed such as spyware, virus softwares. With hardware that only would be need for os to run normaly. No misc pci devices usb devices (except usb modem when tested), all devices needed run of the motherboard. Used acronis backup of just installed xp os. For quicked testing of new xp install for router and usb modem testing.

None of the above worked for either router or usb modem. Then i started to get some error 10053 documented on many sites. Then knew i had broken it, no way back from that well not that i could be bothered to play with. Even deleting and making a new net connection didn't work, renew dhcp ect nothing.

I did have a look at the firewall control panel .cpl on sp3 that was written for sp2. But never changed for sp3 at all, probably only ever patched. With problems sp2 had no wonder using sp2 control panel sp3 has problems.

All in all the best i could do in testing was green check for down and up test and yellow check with black star for port forward. Which meant ok to download no way to upload, send data out. Was taken aback that dmz even wouldn't give a green port forward check.

So again i am back at sp1 because it works and have fixed the port forwad problem again. Have tested it with usb modem and netgear router. Both very simple to set up and works without problem.

So eay in fact for the router for example, with or without windows firwall grc,com shows stealth for all including forwarded port. Forwarding of the port easy as should be, add a service for the port for tcp protocol. And in firewall add it to incoming connections, with router address used for the pc then set it active. In utorrent with sp1 needed only to have nat-pmt set.

Since grc.com shows router firewall is working as it should and stealth report from grc.com i have no need for sp1 firewall. Yet have tested it with utorrent and passes both tests with green check marks, as does without the sp2 firewall active.

Now if someone knows if there is a patch that was for sp3 that made the firewall work. Though i guess its more to do with the ics. Why well with sp1 i never set up the ics. The pci nic card drivers installed and the driver settings set for mtu max, rx-tx so on. Then set forwarded port in router firewall. The net connection i made sure it had dhcp in settings set (it did). I then connected and and ran utorrent and ran the tests, both passed. Up to then no sp1 firewall was active, no new connection made and no home network setup was made. Does this mean no ics was active, if so then sp3 ics maybe at fault because always ics is active with sp3.

Ok since i have setup home network setup as have another local pc to share files with. And yes port forward tests with utorrent work without fail. Why cannot sp3 be as easy and work as gfood as sp1. I say this because i really would rather be using sp3 than sp1 for many softwares now need sp3 to install and run.

Tried the above with 2.0.x many various builds, reason for time taken to test. THis was the second time i have tested this and again back with sp1. Next time will only be tested if and when someone has coded or found a fix registry or other. To make sp3 work correctly with utorrent for port forwarding, that is both tests pass with a green check like is easily done time after time with sp1.

By usb modem I'm assuming you're referring to a wireless internet connection. (3g or such)

Those cell based internet connections are not well suited for torrent traffic. And likewise many providers choose to block all but http and possibly a few other forms of traffic. Effectively stopping you from using utorrent on that internet connection.

I did that even rebooted, upgraded and downgraded the bios all to no avail. Problem sp3 firewall yes sort of more of ics and the firewall. No problem yet with the router firewall which is works fine everytime with sp1 but not sp3, also tried it with nzb sp3 and it fails, but when tested with sp1 worked as it should. Maybe your thinking of exceptions difference with sp3, but also the ics was updated with sp2 and reused with sp3, i think the ics is the problem, the firewall as one entity.

So maybe someone reading this has worked out the sp3 firewall ics problem and have fixed it. Maybe even would like to share here the same registry or other fix for us all.

Have said above have tried without firewalls (for all connections and devices).

Portforward or network problems with uTorrenet or any torrent client. Use only xp with sp1 forget rubbish sp3 and sp2. They have major problems whereas sp1 never has had any i know of. Sp1 will work with any combination of setup and still port forward will work always.

Archived