uTorrent significantly slows down my internet connection

aeryn

Hello,

I've recently run into this problem: whenever i turn on uTorrent my internet connection significantly slows down, to the point where it takes a few minutes to load a webpage, even when uTorrent isn't making any significant uploads/downloads (actually, even when all torrents are stopped/paused). No idea what could be causing this or how to fix it. And i haven't recently changed any settings in either uTorrent or my firewall. And this issue doesn't seem to affect torrent downloading/uploading, either (as in, speeds are just what they usually are). Help, please?

I have been experiencing the exact same issue and it seems to have just started in the past 2 days, but the slowdown impacts my entire network. uTorrent running on my pc takes down the internet for everyone else. Too slow to be usable (IE and other apps timeout). I installed 2.2 beta to see if that would help, and it seemed to for awhile, but after 30mins it was back to slow. Note that uTorrent doesn't seem to be impacted by the slowness as my DLs seem to continue. I use DU Meter and can see the download speed, but it does seem to come in "waves" where it'll start slow, peak, and then drop off and then start the cycle over again. Typical cycle time is about 1m.

I run Win7 and NOD on a Dlink DIR615 Router and a DSS 8+ switch. Firewall is standard Win7.

> Have you removed and re-created the exceptions for uTorrent in NOD32 yet?

I was unable to find any settings in NOD for Application awareness, but I don't use NOD firewall.

> Have you tried taking the maximum number of active and downloading torrents down to 1 yet?

THIS WORKED! I had it set at 12 for both torrents and DLs. Changed to 1 and works OK. Changed to 4 and poblem returned. Changed to 2 and while internet worked on other PCs, it was noticeably slow.

Changed back to 1 and that's where I sit.

> Have you tried taking the maximum number of active and downloading torrents down to 1 yet?

THIS WORKED! I had it set at 12 for both torrents and DLs. Changed to 1 and works OK. Changed to 4 and poblem returned. Changed to 2 and while internet worked on other PCs, it was noticeably slow.

Changed back to 1 and that's where I sit.

Yes, basically the same thing. Also, when all of the torrents are stopped my connection is still a bit sluggish but not quite so bad as when i have active and/or paused torrents.

So i tool a less than technical solution: i uninstalled uTorrent and reinstalled it. Seems to work okay for now.

• 3 months later...

I found a solution that worked for me. I'm using XP SP3 with a 3rd party firewall and router with the right ports. I also did the speed issue checklist but that was no good. I noticed my firewall was blocking an active windows driver while utorrent was online. I unblocked it then Voila! My internet and torrent are now working great. I'm not to sure how utorrent is affiliated with this driver or if any. I normally have all windows apps & drivers blocked upon request.

Try unblocking this driver: ndisuio.sys (NDIS User mode I/O Driver)

Hopefully this will work for someone else.

Archived