data of unfinished downloads don't register on restart

nerdology

Newbie here, so forgive me for sounding like one.

I regularly stop my unfinished torrent downloads and restart my pc the next day because house rules at my place say I can't keep my pc on overnight. Lately, though, my unfinished downloads are stuck on a previous time. For example, I download tv series one episode at a time - I choose not to download the later episodes so I can complete the first episode first and work my way through the series one episode at a time until I finish the whole thing. I resume unfinished episodes the next day. In one tv series download, when the force recheck started (I sometimes forget to stop the download the previous day), the data of an unfinished episode I started downloading yesterday didn't register. A download stopped at, say 50%, reverted back to square one.

I had a movie, though, that I only started downloading yesterday but didn't finish. It wasn't not on the list of downloads when I opened utorrent, but I force rechecked and the data I'd downloaded yesterday was there. Same thing with another tv series, though I can't remember if I started that one yesterday.

I had a download I abandoned for a while at 13% to give way to priority downloads and only resumed and finished it yesterday. But today that same download was under the list of current downloads, at 13%. I force rechecked it, and it removed itself and went under the completed downloads list. The data of this torrent is in my laptop's hard drive, the others above in an external hard drive, just in case it's important.

Using an Eee pc. XP with Threatfire, Mcafee enterprise, free Spyware doctor, Malewarebytes, Super antispyware and Comodo firewall, and a free Norton online scanner I intend to remove today.

Had utorrent 2.0.4 when it first came out. Wasn't able to download the recent 2.0.4. update, so I went to the site to redownload 2.0.4. (didn't remove the old 2.0.4., though, which may have been the problem, as I'd thought I'd have that update anyway).

What's going on?

Something is stopping uTorrent from writing to the resume.dat file.

Ensure you have proper (write) permissions for all the .dat files in %appdata%\utorrent (type that in a run dialog box, Windows Key + R to bring one up) It's most likely a conflict with the HUGE collection of protection software you have installed.

Norton is useless, and having more than one of a certain type, eg anti-virus or firewall, just causes problems like this.

<i>Ensure you have proper (write) permissions for all the .dat files</i>

How do I do that?

<i>having more than one of a certain type, eg anti-virus or firewall, just causes problems like this.</i>

Which programs do you recommend I remove? Would Firefox add-ons have any effect? I originally had the McAfee, free Spyware Doctor and Malwarebytes but didn't have any problems. Added Threatfire and some Firefox add-ons after a virus scare.

%appdata%\utorrent (type that in a run dialog box, Windows Key + R to bring one up)

McAfee and Comodo combined should provide good protection. And anti-spyware generally isn't as intrusive. Just run it every once in a while, no need to use real-time protection on those. So take your pick. Personally I'd recommend Spybot search and destroy above what you've got but it's up to you.

Open a Run Dialog (Windows Key and R). Then type in %appdata%\utorrent in the bar and hit ok.

When you get there right click on the offending files, (resume.dat is the one you should be checking first) and open properties, Check under permissions to make sure that your username has write permission for the file. If not then use an administrator account and change it.

Removing the programs along probably won't fix it. You're gonna have to put these files back to the right settings first. (an update is recommended for various reasons but probably won't help with this either)

Sorry in advance because I'm going to sound like an idiot...

I can't read my resume DAT file because I don't have a program to do it. I can only access the General Tab in Properties. Is there a way to access it without downloading a program, or do I have to download one?

I'm not sure what you mean by offending files. Besides resume and the torrent files, I have dht; dht.old; resume.dat.old; rss; rss.dat.old; settings.dat.1.bad; setting.dat.2.bad; settings.dat.new.1.bad; settings.old and utorrent.lng. Which of these should I tinker with? And what are the right settings?

Archived