Am I connectable?

jin187

I'm running µTorrent on a PC with two internet connections. µTorrent is forced to run through one connection, and the default gateway for all other traffic is set to the other connection. The one I use for http has the port I use for µTorrent closed. With that being the case, the built in test µTorrent uses to see if it is connectible fails, unless I set the connection µTorrent uses as the default gateway for http traffic.

What I'm wondering is if µTorrent modifies its behavior based on what it finds when it tries to ping this site. µTorrent says the port is not forwarded because it is checking the port on the wrong connection. If I lock down the default gateway completely so no traffic can go through, the icon actually turns red. I have no idea what the consequences of that could be. If µTorrent thinks it's not connectible, but really is, will it flag itself as such and not attempt or accept connections from peers, or will it send out some kind of flag causing other peers to not even attempt a connection?

You can use the net.bind_ip field in advanced to specify which gateway to use for utorrent's connection.

Setup a static or dhcp reserved IP address for your computer on that connection, then specify your local IP address on that NIC in the field I mentioned. Leave the second connection as the default HTTP connection.

The problem isn't getting µTorrent to use the correct gateway. All P2P and tracker communication is using the connection I want it to use. The problem is that µTorrent is pinging the server here at utorrent.com to see if it's connectible, and for that sole operation, it is using the other gateway. I tried using the advanced settings in µTorrent like you suggested, and I get the same result that I was getting before when I changed the settings in Windows. Having µTorrent phone home to test the port settings only works if it tries to communicate with the site the same way it does with trackers. For example, if I simply blocked this place with a firewall or hosts file entry, it would tell me I'm not connectible regardless of what settings I use.

My question is simple:

If µTorrent fails in its attempt to ping this place, i.e. the icon is not green, does it have an adverse affect on the torrents actually running if the port is indeed forwarded?

Archived