Throttle multicast traffic

shopik

I would like to say multicast flood still issue for utorrent, basically now you send updates to multicast address every 5 minutes if user having a lots torrent this will cause really heavy traffic, utorrent should throttle amount of multicast packets/second.

There is ISP who start blocking your switchport if you sending huge amount of multicast per second, this is automatically done to prevent network degradation. I can turn this feature off, but this prevent me to use local speeds to download/upload.

Please consider this as more like bug fix not feature request, I'll appreciate this, thanks!

I can turn this feature off, but this prevent me to use local speeds to download/upload.

Er, not really. LPD is just a service to help discover local peers even if they're not on any of the trackers you're connected to. µTorrent can still connect to a peer through traditional means, determine that the peer is local (looking at subnet, or one of various other ways it probably defines a peer as being "local"), and limit/unlimit its bandwidth accordingly.

Thanks, looks like I missed somehow this exact message in previous thread. Multi-announce LSD sounds promising. Also 30ms isn't big enough sometimes we need something like 100ms so it won't be over 10 multicast messages per second.

So this is is currently ISP just suggest to turn off LPD to prevent be blocked, not big deal I say, but users missing high speed downloads because utorrent don't know who's around.

Archived