Inconsistent behaviour following crash

M64117

The crash is not the query. I rebooted the PC and started µTorrent forgetting that I had disconnected an external drive where the downloads are stored.

Of seven torrents that were active:

two that were downloading have resumed.

one that was downloading, and two that were complete, have started again from scratch. The files for the two complete ones are still there and are completely usable even though supposedly they are being recreated. The file dates have all changed to today.

two that were complete and were seeding have continued to seed.

My question then is why should three downloads out of five that were complete have restarted, and is there any way to stop it? As far as I can see by testing with pause (rather than stop) if the download stops then so does the upload; I should like to stop the download but allow the upload to continue.

M

Thanks. There's a lot to take in.

I checked the external drive for errors and found none.

I followed the links in your note. It will be a while before I have understood them all. However I ran a test (Option - setup guide – run tests). It recommended that the maximum number of active torrents was three, of which two could be downloads. Much smaller than the settings I was using as I noted in my original post. Could that be why my internet slows down between 7 in the evening and midnight, or is that just co-incidence? I have no problem with limiting downloads, but would not a low limit on uploads stop the sharing process from working effectively?

Finally your link "Sequential downloading DESTROYS torrents". AIUI you are warning about people grabbing data and leaving. That has not an issue here – I like to think that I'm one of the better behaved downloaders, and the PC works 24/7 as I also run Prime95 and schedule my backups for the middle of the night. But any suggestions to improve uploading performance would be welcome to a newcomer.

M

The drive error checker should create .chk files in the ROOT of that drive if it finds "lost" files. You may have to rename and move them.

"my internet slows down between 7 in the evening and midnight"

...Probably both because the shared line is overloaded at that time and/or throttling/disrupting done by your ISP, probably Virgin Media Cable ISP in the UK.

My "note" is my signature...it doesn't apply to everyone, but it's attached to every post I make.

"you are warning about people grabbing data and leaving."

Only partially! The main point about sequential downloading is it can cause issues even if people are NOT leaving quickly after finishing the download.

No chk files, so I guess no data damage.

After another reboot for a different reason one torrent that had restarted has returned to its original percentage. Just as well as it was incredibly slow - less than 1kb / sec since I started it nine days ago. The other two finished before the reboot. One was only 44mb and one was 4gb but also extremely fast. They have apparently each downloaded twice the original amount of data.

How did you know I was on Virgin? Do they have a reputation for that sort of thing?

On the subject of sequential downloading it looks as if µTorrent doesn't do it as all my downloads seem to come in random order, but I've only been using it for downloads for a fortnight or so. Before I used Limewire and I think I must have been one of the worst offenders for hit and run, as it seems to be a feature that if you change version or folder location it doesn't share any files that were created before the change.

M

Did you check automatically fix file system errors when doing disk error checking?

The forum reports the ips of the posters, though not everyone can see those ips.

Virgin has a bad reputation.

uTorrent does not do sequential downloading by default, you have to use some "new improved features" to do that...and I don't advise using them. (stuff like streaming or prioritize first/last pieces)

Archived