Unable to download..

GodspeedFx

Ok, here's my piece.. be prepared, haha ;)

I'm unable to download anything--uTorrent reports all torrents as downloading, but it won't pick up any seeders for any torrents (and they are active torrents, 500+ seeders and only 100 or so leeches). Here's the story:

I'm on a new computer. It's an Intel C2Duo, Vista-32. I just moved into a new place that provides Wifi. What this means to me is, I have no access to the router (which is a linksys, on roadrunner cable) so I'm unable to forward any ports. I used NMap to do a port scan on the network and the only open ports (TCP) are the normal ones (8010, 1723, 53, 25, 22). I have uTorrent set to port 8010 because it's the only open port that would pass the Setup Guide test, but I feel like that might cause some conflicts. There is one other port open for UDP, but I didn't see a way to set separate TCP/UDP ports.. I'm assuming that is impossible because of the way uTorrent is set up, and from what I understand, DHT is the only part of uTorrent that uses UDP and isn't completely necessary.

I have Norton Internet Security (version 17.7.0.12) but I have a rule set in it for uTorrent:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/585/norton.jpg

I also have windows firewall set to allow uTorrent. I don't have any other firewall/antivirus software that I'm aware of.

Here is the Setup Guide information from uTorrent:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9465/utorrentn.jpg

uTorrent doesn't show anything at all.. no green circle, no red circle, no error messages whatsoever at the bottom. It's also unable to connect to any trackers for any torrents I try. I know it has to be a network issue, but it's strange because the setup guide runs fine and it says everything is configured properly. Is there something I can do even though I'm unable to access the router to forward ports?

Anyone notice anything else that I could have missed? Let me know if a HJT or ProcessExplorer log would help.. I hate having to post but I searched everywhere for like 2 hours and couldn't find a solution =/ uTorrent worked fine on my desktop (with and without a router), but I also had direct access to my router so I was able to forward the proper ports.

I'm hoping the property owners aren't actively trying to prevent file sharing.. but I'm hoping if they are, there is a way to ninja around it ;)

Archived