questions about upload slots, and how 'Ban Ratio' works exactly

joe7dust

Sorry for the wall of text.... 2 part question here

1) Why am I connected to hundreds of peers if my upload slots are set low, and my upload limit is fairly low? Are all the extra people just waiting in line? I ask because I've noticed if I have more than 50ish peers my pings in my online games go way up. I suspect this is a cheap router limitation on simultaneous connections, but I really have no idea for certain.

How can I make utorrent connect to more seeders without connecting to an excessive amount of 'peers' (which is seeds + leechers right?)

Here's an example: To hit my desired max of 300KB on this particular torrent, I have to set my global connects to 200 and also 200 per torrent. Earlier when I had global/per set to only 50 connections I had like 5 seeds and 45 peers.... and now that I lifted the limitation I have about 25 seeds, 120 peers. As you can see it would appear that 'peers' were edging out some of the seeders that I wanted to be connected to earlier. It just sucks that I have to set connections to 200 to accomplish this. As I said my pings suffer from too many simultaneous connections.

It would be nice if I could get these 25 seeders, with only having to have 25 or 50 'peers'.

2) I saw in another thread something called Ban Ratio. I assume this is an advanced setting in utorrent that autobans leechers that don't upload enough? If something like this is in effect, please tell me what I need to do to avoid getting banned by the most popular ban ratio settings. Also, does this go off of your past 31 days Uploaded/DL'd or just a small sample after you start DLing from them?

I think I've been banned by a few people, because every now and then this torrent spikes from its 50KB download average to the full on 300KB max that I have set. Then after a couple minutes it goes back to 50KB download or so again... Either a superseeder is opening utorrent for only a couple minutes and then closing it or... I've gotten the banstick by a few good seeders out there. :( I want to avoid this at all costs even if it means I have to leave my torrents seeding for weeks after I've completed them. (usually I just cancel them when I'm done, not to be a prick but because it makes my ping too high)

TL:DR

1) Why am I connected to hundreds of peers regardless of upload rate and upload slot settings?

2) How can I increase my seeder ratio (seeds divided by leechers) without setting the # of connections too high? In my example, quadrupling the global connects raised seeders 5x and leechers 2x. Is utorrent not smart enough to keep the correct ratio of seeds/leechers while also limiting # of simultaneous connects?

3) Why is it called a 'ban RATIO' if it only considers seeders with corrupted data as someone said it does?

"I saw in another thread something called Ban Ratio. I assume this is an advanced setting in utorrent that autobans leechers that don't upload enough?"

uTorrent auto-bans based ONLY on those peers/seeds sending you pieces that fail hash checks. And even then only if they send you predominately bad pieces.

Be very careful about your upload settings in uTorrent -- if you're uploading a little too fast for your line, then you'll get good/great download speeds if connected only to seeds.

Start looking at the other side of the equation:

Are you part of the solution or only adding to the problem?

Guys I'm sure you're sick of posts like mine, but the Ctrl + G is a joke. I set all my settings manually like a real man.

schnurlos that was a real copout, if you can't be bothered to read my post and answer my specific question which is way off the chart compared to a simple automatic setup then just don't post. I know what a help file is thanks.

"...then you'll get good/great download speeds if connected only to seeds."

And how do I accomplish this? That is the main issue I'm asking about in part 2) how do I keep from only getting 5 seeds and 45 leechers when my global connects are set to a level that my router can handle? The problem was obviously not a lack of seeders, as you see when I lifted the limitations the seeds went up 5x and leechers only went up about 2x.

Also if the banning is based on hash checks then why is it called a 'ban RATIO' ?

what is your take on the temporary spikes in download speed if it wasn't a superseeder banning me shortly after he started uploading to me?

Here let me try and make this easier on you.

TL:DR

1) Why am I connected to hundreds of peers regardless of upload rate and upload slot settings?

2) How can I increase my seeder ratio (seeds divided by leechers) without setting the # of connections too high? In my example, quadrupling the global connects raised seeders 5x and leechers 2x. Is utorrent not smart enough to keep the correct ratio of seeds/leechers while also limiting # of simultaneous connects?

3) Why is it called a 'ban RATIO' if it only considers seeders with corrupted data as someone said it does?

1) when you see f.e "Peers 2(555)" there are 555 in the swarm, but you are only connected to 2

2) did you ever try running the speed guide and run utorrent with this settings?

3) utorrent is handling this. What you wanted originally (before editing your first post) to ban ppl which stop uploading can be done by the trackers, not by the client. Perhaps the seed/peer just stopped to upload to you and is uploading to others with full speed (which you can't see).

BTW: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=378125#p378125 ...

1) Yes I know but that isn't an answer to my question. The question is why is it 120 (600) if upload slots are at 1 and upload limit is 8KB? I heard utorrent likes a minimum of 2KB each, so 4 would be max not 120 but to me it seems even 4 would be unnecessary if I'm only uploading to ONE (supposedly)

2) I'm sure I have at one point. I've been using utorrent for years this is probably my 10th installation of it. The 'guide' is for noobs and only changes major things. My questions are very subtle, specific and exact. I'm simply trying to optimize the way utorrent behaves when set to run at low rates and in the background while I am still able to use my internet connection 95% for other things. At least half of my desire to know these settings is curiosity and understanding the stuff more. I do not want it to be done automatically...

3) I never said that. I did not delete anything, the edit was to add TL:DR since you guys seemed to have trouble picking my questions out of the wall of text. You didn't answer my question at all. Why is it called a 'ban RATIO' ? I don't care if utorrent is handling it I want to know.

So you are saying that I may be getting banned by trackers? What do I need to do to ensure I am not banned by anyone?

BTW the post you linked refers to another post that doesn't exist anymore.

"...then you'll get good/great download speeds if connected only to seeds."

"And how do I accomplish this?"

This is a goal best avoided. Seeds are only supposed to be used as a last resort, and SHOULD connect to far fewer others than peers do. Worse, because seeds have likely been connected for some time...when a new peer joins the torrent swarm they will often find seeds won't connect BECAUSE seeds have already reached their max allowed connections for the torrent.

Instead, a new peer should mostly "feed" off of existing peers. The good news is peers should be few in number (at least relative to the number of seeds) on a "healthy" torrent swarm that's more than a month old...instead those peers should already be seeds, supplying ample download speed to basically all newcomers.

Since you're NOT getting good download speeds...chances are upload speeds are suffering badly too.

We need more information to determine why and by how much.

"if the banning is based on hash checks then why is it called a 'ban RATIO' ?"

It's a ratio of GOOD pieces versus BAD pieces from the peer/seed.

"what is your take on the temporary spikes in download speed if it wasn't a superseeder banning me shortly after he started uploading to me?"

People start and stop their torrent clients all the time...or they crash...or they disconnect from peers/seeds due to overloading their own network/internet connection.

It's extremely unlikely to be a superseeder, that specific term in the BitTorrent parlance is defined to be a seed initially trying to seed a new torrent to lots of peers in a quick manner. It doesn't even guarantee that special seed is a fast uploader.

"I have 100% of the file and am seeding now albeit only at 8KB upload. Why on earth is my download speed 1KB?"

SCREENSHOT THIS!

UPLOAD TO: http://www.imageshack.us/

INCLUDE A LINK TO THAT PICTURE IN YOUR NEXT POST. :)

It could be a severe uTorrent bug...or just standard overheads.

No screenshot, already closed it. Nothing to see really, 1KB in DL column and 8KB in UL column.

Basically I just need to know why it appears I'm connecting to too many people. I was getting 30-50KB average from 25 seeds and 120 peers. Doesn't this violate utorrents desire to make the minimum upload rate 2KB per connection? (saw that in another thread here)

I need to get my connections down as low as possible, like connect to 30 people at 8KB each instead of 120 people at 2KB each.

I have an idea that would be sweet, but I dont know if its possible to accomplish with uTorrent. I could connect to as many people as possible at first while not playing online video games and manually select the top 20-50, force disconnect from all others! Would be awesome... Cause then I'd still get low pings cause my router isn't trying to connect to hundreds of people.

I think I remember this being possible with Shareaza, like there was a way to see how much each connected peer was giving you in KB/sec.

No screenshot, already closed it. Nothing to see really, 1KB in DL column and 8KB in UL column.
The reason he asked to see it, is that they've been trying to deal with overhead problems. If you're actually getting overheads of that magnitude then something could be wrong.

I usually don't see a download of 1KB+ overhead unless I'm uploading at over 170. (so somewhere around 0.6%, where as your statement would indicate a 12.5% overhead.

Archived