uTorrent 2.2 (Build 21882) "Set Download Location" problems..

ikotsu

WIN 7 64bit / uTorrent 2.2 (Build 21882)

I'm experiencing a problem with setting the actual download location on uTorrent for files that have been downloaded. As others have posted, I also experience "File cannot be found" if the download is set within the configuration to be moved to a separate folder after completion.

However, the problem extends further, in my instance. Here's a brief tutorial on how to recreate my problem, and I'll explain step by step the issues I see as I go along so that you can attempt to reproduce this.

Open uTorrent

Select any currently Finished torrent.

Open the torrent menu, Advanced, Set Download Location *

* This is where the problem begins. When using the file browser to attempt to locate files, my File Type drop down shows two options (All Files and $). Neither show "All Files", they show only folders. I have tried this with multiple locations on multiple partitions. This current build and the build immediately previous I experienced this problem. However, 2 builds prior, I was able to see all the files currently in any folder, as well as select the appropriate file ( whether it be .mkv, .avi, .mp3, etc. ).

Assuming this has been updated to simply allow you to select the directory that the file is currently in, I click "OK" when I navigate with the open file browser to the folder the file is currently contained in.

I click force re-check; there is no file found, and the torrent status reverts to the "Stopped" state.

Assuming the program will automatically locate the target file when attempting to re-download, possibly just an error with the file browser, uTorrent attempts to download a new copy of the file, and a new file is created within my downloads directory. This new file is named whatever folder name I selected in the previous few steps for my download location.

Visual Explination -

My download directory is D:\Torrents\In Progress

Files are moved from \Torrents\In Progress to \Torrents\Completed when they finish.

When the file finishes, and the dialog pops up saying "File cannot be found" I use the Set Download Location file browser.

I selected the Completed folder as my folder for the download, as I cannot see specific files in the browser, only folders.

I press the Start button on the torrent I just set the download location for.

uTorrent downloads a new copy into the In Progress folder, and a new FILE is created within the \Torrents\Completed folder called "Completed". This file has no extensions and no properties.

As a small note, files that have already been downloaded prior to the newest updates are unaffected as long as I do not attempt to change their location.

I'm aware that there are several other threads regarding issues with the new File Location feature, but I have not seen any with a similar issue to this, so I created a new thread. Feel free to move / delete as needed, and please let me know if any other information is needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I too am having this same problem with utorrent 1.8.3 which I just noticed today. Always before I could see the individual mp4 file or avi file etc but now only see the folders that are there with no option to choose the individual file. For example if I want to add an individual avi file to utorrent to reseed and I have it by itself and not in a folder and then the open or save file box pops up and I choose open and then browse for that file it doesnt show it there so I can do a force recheck.

I did work around this by creating a folder and putting the individual file in first and then I could see the folder and can then force recheck and then reseed.

Is there a setting or something that I need to change or fix or was there a resolution that I may have overlooked here? I really do not want to change from 1.8.3.

Below is the part of the last reply that is having the same problem: QUOTE:

This is where the problem begins. When using the file browser to attempt to locate files, my File Type drop down shows two options (All Files and $). Neither show "All Files", they show only folders. I have tried this with multiple locations on multiple partitions. This current build and the build immediately previous I experienced this problem. However, 2 builds prior, I was able to see all the files currently in any folder, as well as select the appropriate file ( whether it be .mkv, .avi, .mp3, etc. ).

Archived