Setup uTorrent in Intranet environment

zeuss

Dear All,

I am not sure if it's possible and how to do it :

I want to run uTorrent in our private network so that we can share files more quickly (>1000Mbps).

But I tried to build a test torrent seed and try to search and add it but in vain.

Does any person ever setup uTorrent client and server in the private domain? Is there any guildline I can reference?

Regards,

Zeuss

I'm not aware of any guides, but I'll try to explain it as best I can.

Bittorrent is a peer based protocol so the peers handle all connections manually. The only thing they don't handle is the finding of new peers. That's what a tracker is for. So you can either setup a private tracker somewhere in your network or you can use DHT and Local Peer Discovery. (done by unchecking the private flag when creating the torrent.) Those options are ways to help the client find peers manually (works in conjunction with peer exchange)

There are a couple of disadvantages to using bittorrent in this manner however. One is the overhead. It's a very efficient protocol for spreading data, but it also requires that a lot of data be wasted in the process.

Hashing also can cause problems. It requires that all data be checked for quality/data loss during transmit. Which makes it impossible for the files to have been corrupted during transfer but again takes a lot of extra power to ensure that.

You wrote that you want to transfer above 1Gbit/s. Are you sure your network is capable of handling that kind of traffic. Even 100Mbit+ of bittorrent traffic can bring many routers to their knees. Not to mention that you'd need a backbone capable of at least 10Gbit.

Personally I think that a Samba or FTP share would probably suit your scenario better.

Mainly because you're going to have to transfer the torrent file itself prior to starting the transfer. (require some other sort of connection to get it going). The main advantage of using torrents would be seen once you've spread the files to the first few machines (assuming you need to spread whatever data to a lot of machines quickly). Those machines would then act as servers, very quickly spreading what they have. But if it's just a few office documents and such, the effort probably wouldn't out weigh the advantages.

If you are trying to say spread updates for a particular piece of software to all machines, you may want to lookup what some bigger corporations have done. There are a few game companies that have started spreading their updates with bittorrent. (starcraft 2 comes to mind). Facebook now uses a similar technology for their server updates. A few other video streaming sites are doing the same.

Hi paintball9 ,

You are really my master here, actually, you somehow solved my original problem. I think the "tracker" issue is the key point if I want to run uTorrent in private network; actually, I didn't know "DHT" and "Local Peer Discovery" before, I will try it.

Thanks,

Zeuss

• 8 months later...
Personally I think that a Samba or FTP share would probably suit your scenario better.

Mainly because you're going to have to transfer the torrent file itself prior to starting the transfer. (require some other sort of connection to get it going). The main advantage of using torrents would be seen once you've spread the files to the first few machines (assuming you need to spread whatever data to a lot of machines quickly). Those machines would then act as servers, very quickly spreading what they have. But if it's just a few office documents and such, the effort probably wouldn't out weigh the advantages.

hi all !!!

I've tried different method to send file through a network, and if you want to send a file in a LAN environment the best choice is FTP or HTTP, cause you can't consider problem as bandwith and QoS

... in my scenario problematics are different because I'm trying to configure utorrent in a MPLS network that works like a WAN, where the utorrent-master-server is placed in a lan and natted-forwarded

on a mpls-network, and the utorrent-clients are geographically far from master-server and in a different subnet of the mpls-network...

the idea is , transfer files in the network at higher speed without collapse the server-bandwith

scenario-schema

server : HDSL-MPLS 8 Mbit

clients : ADSL-MPLS 7 Mbit

Serverip:192.168.1.13

ServerGW:192.168.1.254-----port forward and NAT----->ServeripMPLS : 172.16.1.4

^

Clientip:172.16.3.2 |

ClientGW:172.16.3.1----------------------------------------------------------------------/

I've configure utorrent in this way and it's work!!!!!

. enable bt-tracking from options advanced

. clients and server port are the same

. create a torrent with the list tracker all the ip in the wan

It's work but it's not discover automatically torrent-tracker

bye

Archived