µTorrent 1.5 released

ludde

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a problem with one feature in the beta, Firon said that µTorrent Shutdown/hibernate when all seedings are finnished, but the changelog say something different:

- Feature: Shutdown/hibernate when downloads complete

If this isn't a typo, this feature can really harm the swarms.

well, i guess it is supposed to be after the torrent is completed, meaning downloaded and reached seeding limit, there would be not harm to the swarm as just with reaching seeding goal would stop anyway so why not help the user's pc and shut it/hibernate it?

now if it is only after download is completed thats a harming swarm feature :P

yeah, "when downloads complete" is a little confusing. that would be like hit and run.. a leecher feature! it should shut down/hibernate when finished seeding!

but it doesnt. I have 3 files seeding.. the ratio limit is 1.5 and they havent reached it yet. when I switch on the feature.. it shuts down my pc.. :o

Agreed, I'm not too sure how it's going to harm the swarm any more than stopping at the Seeding Priority will. That said, the shutdown thing seems to be acting "funkily," and it shut my computer down automatically after enabling it, even though my seeding priority wasn't reached. Grrrr...

same here.. ^^ I was just switching it on to copy paste the error message from the log in here. but this time there was no error message, instead, it shut down my pc.. lol (while I was seeding)!

in b453 it never worked for me and the option didnt stay on.

the problem is that people don't need to be at the pc to shut down their pc,

they can let it run while they are sleeping or when they are at work/school and the PC

shutdowns by itself when the torrent is downloaded.

Not a public beta ? It's on http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Torrent/1127406453/1 already..

Hm, can access either http://utorrent.com/download/beta/utorrent-1.5.1-beta-build-453.txt

Ah, i see, i'm too late, it's 456 now, http://utorrent.com/download/beta/utorrent-1.5.1-beta-build-456.txt

And the lastest build http://utorrent.com/download/beta/utorrent-1.5.1-beta-build-456.exe

Guys, I think you should create a page with all betas, it's not more private when the lastest builds are all over the net..

453+ are public-ish, but were mostly kept to IRC because of the potential for bugs and crashes. And boy were there a lot of them. XD That's one of the reasons we're up to 456 in so little time. We'll put a link on the download page when we think it's a little less buggy.

Feature: Added bandwidth priority ...

causes crazy jumping if you have two ore more tracker for a torrent and one is not working. Should be improved to show i.e. constantly "working" if you have at least one working tracker.

Another issue: Most size related columns are right aligned now but "Size" still isn't.

And as already mentioned, showing bandwith prio and graphical progress is great, Thx!

Sumi Vano

No, it doesn't shut down once it's downloaded. It's supposed to shut down when the torrent is completed. Meaning the Seeding Priority is reached.

then it isnt working as it should. it shuts down as soon es the download hits 100%.

The shutdown/hibernate feature is a great idea, but as mentioned it functions poorly. I Prefer hibernation, so I tried to use that. Nothing happened. Not when the download was finished and not when the seeding was finished. I really like the idea, so of course I would like it to be fixed. And perhaps given a button in the toolbar to switch it on and off with.

Personally, I would have prefered per tracker settings long before download bars. I don't see any real use for the bars, but per tracker settings would be very handy. For instance, I want to have DHT enabled for all new torrents. But I can't, since I download from some private trackers that don't use the private flag in torrents. So now when I download a torrent from a private tracker, I have do check that DHT isn't enabled, perhaps adjust the seeding goal, and mark it with the correct label. All of which could have been done with per tracker settings.

Oh, and the RSS-downloader could use some more settings. As an example, I download every episode of Prison Break. For a couple of weeks, a screener was released long before the HDTV version. I didn't want the screener. But what could I do when it was downloaded? If I reset, it would download every episode it could find. If I did nothing, it wont download the HDTV version of the same episode. I would like to choose which episode to start from.

Just looking over 456's Disk Cache section. Why would "Write out finished pieces immediately" default to ON? Isn't that effectively negating the write cache? How is there a write cache at all with pieces writing immediately?

Also, shouldn't "Increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing" be ON by default? Why would most people prefer thrashing?

For the manual cache size setting, does the figure represent what's shared between read/write, or is that amount given to each?

Just looking over 456's Disk Cache section. Why would "Write out finished pieces immediately" default to ON? Isn't that effectively negating the write cache? How is there a write cache at all with pieces writing immediately?

Also, shouldn't "Increase automatic cache size when cache thrashing" be ON by default? Why would most people prefer thrashing?

For the manual cache size setting, does the figure represent what's shared between read/write, or is that amount given to each?

it doesnt write inmidiately, have you noticed how much time can a whole piece take to finish downloading? :P

Archived