Slow Upload Speeds using beta 2.2

transcopic

My d/l speeds are great, but lately my upload speeds have been pathetic. I used to be able to reach and stay at my upload limit for long periods of time. But now, instead of seeing plateaus on my speed graph, I see vicious up & down spikes. It seems like even if I do get connected to a peer, that connection only lasts a matter of seconds.

I'm very happy with uTorrent other than this.. I would just like to be able to seed at faster, more reliable speeds. Any suggestions?

I'm using utorrent 2.2 beta build 21882 on Windows XP sp3 connected via att DSL @ the 3mB/s download speed.. My connection settings in uT are as follows:

Upload Limit: 46 kB/s

Upload Slots: 4 (allow additional u/l slots if <90%, yes)

Connections (per torrent): 80

Connections (global): 230

Max active torrents: 3

Max active downloads: 1

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks!

Ok... So my throttling test came back negative. *phew!* I tried the tweaks suggested. My only question is this bit:

[2] Settings that might improve (reduce) your overhead:

2a. Set pref->advanced->net.uTP_dynamic_packet_size =false

2b. Set pref->advanced->net.utp_initial_packet_size = 8 (use MTU size)

Does this apply to me? I changed the first setting to false and made the packet size 8. I'm not sure what "use MTU size" means... I thought my MTU size was like1500?

Anyway, none of this has seemed to make much of a difference. All of my torrents have 100-3000 peers, but I can't seem to stay connected to most of them for more than a few seconds... and even if I do, the up speed rarely goes over 1 kB/s.

Looking at my average upload speeds for my current 8 torrents: the lowest is 114 B/s and the highest is 4.4 kB/s. This really makes me a sad. :(

What's more frustrating is it seems most of the troubleshooting out there is designed to diagnose download speed problems but my d/l speeds are fine...

*UPDATE* I changed max global connections to 100 and connections per torrent to 40. This seems to have helped a little bit (+7 kB/s average?) but it's hard to tell. At least I'm able to stay connected to a few peers for longer than 2 seconds now. The change seems extreme... and I don't want to go too in either direction. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks..

Just to get something cleared up...

Unless you're using probably the top speed tier of AT&T's U-serve, you almost certainly do not have 3 MegaBYTES/second download rate/bandwidth max like your first post implies.

3 megabit/second download bandwidth max seems far more likely.

Your upload bandwidth max may be anywhere from 256 kilobits/second to 1 megabit/second, though 512-640 kilobits/second is most likely.

Do a speedtest.net speed test to confirm your down and up speeds...while uTorrent is paused or stopped.

40 connections per torrent isn't all that bad, especially if your max download speed isn't over 500 KiloBYTES/second. While only seeding, I even recommend setting connections per torrent to 10.

3 megabit/second download bandwidth max seems far more likely.

Your upload bandwidth max ... 512-640 kilobits/second is most likely.

40 connections per torrent isn't all that bad, especially if your max download speed isn't over 500 KiloBYTES/second. While only seeding, I even recommend setting connections per torrent to 10.

You're right... I'm at 3 megaBITS/second dowload max, and 500 kiloBITS/second upload. I just got sloppy with my abbreviations.. It's confusing because uTorrent uses kB/s (kilobytes) and AT&T uses kilobits and megabits/s to inflate their numbers.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I was wondering if there was a specific tweak to help when only seeding.

I'm still kinda confused though. (speaking in speed graph terms) This has given me more consistent peaks and valleys, but I'm still not getting anywhere near my upload limit. Gone are the upload limit plateaus.. and most of the time my upload speeds are less than 50% of my upload limit. I just don't know what caused this change or how to get back to the old ways. Do you think I should try reverting to the stable release of uTorrent and see if that helps?

You wrote above that your max up is 4.4 kB/s. Now you say that you get around 20 kB/s. Big difference.

Read this from the help file: "Because of the very nature of BitTorrent, speeds are not guaranteed for any given torrent swarm. While you may get great speeds in one swarm, you might not in another."

This applies to both upload and download speeds. Don't see a problem here.

You wrote above that your max up is 4.4 kB/s. Now you say that you get around 20 kB/s. Big difference.

No, I never said that. I think you're talking about the post where I mentioned, "my average upload speeds for my current 8 torrents." ...and I said that I PEAK at about 20 kB/s - which means that those speeds only last for a few seconds and then drop back down to a trickle.

Read this from the help file: "Because of the very nature of BitTorrent, speeds are not guaranteed for any given torrent swarm. While you may get great speeds in one swarm, you might not in another."

This applies to both upload and download speeds. Don't see a problem here.

Yes, I understand how bittorent works. Speeds are not guaranteed by any means, but my point is that my upload speeds have been consistently dismal for a long time now. (months?) Long enough to make me think that something has changed, considering that I was once able to upload at 40+ kB/s on a fairly regular basis.

Hmmm, basiclly if your hardware and software are ok, your upload is at speeds that your isp lets you,up to your limit and...very important, at the speed that the remote client is interested. If many peers upload to a few, each peer will upload at slow speeds. It's not a problem. It is all that is needed from you.

If you get a total upload speed that is not close to 0 (and you said you didn't), I would say that all is well. Check your settings in the speed guide, check what others wrote and see maybe you can fine tune the software.

Snapshot of my uTorrent at the moment, which is typical of late:

I'm uploading 7 torrents with approximately 4800 peers total. I'm only connected to 3 of those peers, and my upload speeds go up and down erratically... but my average upload speed is still hovering at about 4 kB/s -- even though I've been able to upload at 48 kB/s in the past.

I used to be able to see some logic behind uTorrent's uploading algorithms. Either my bandwidth would be 80+% used up... or I could see the program trying to make more connections to ramp up the speed. Now it just looks like a clusterf*ck of peers connecting and disconnecting at random while my speed graph spikes and dips.

At this rate, it will be very difficult for me to maintain a decent share ratio.

*UPDATE*

I disabled everything in uTorrent and finally noticed that my green check mark in the lower right had turned into a yellow warning sign. I had to reinstall Windows recently and had forgotten to forward a port in my router afterwards. But uTorrent kept giving me a green check mark as long as I had DHT enabled so I never even thought about it.

Everything seems to be back to normal now.

To whom it may concern: I think giving folks the thumbs up as soon as they are able to download is a bad idea. Uploading is an essential part of the bit torrent community... and I'd say that most folks aren't as obsessive about their share ratios as I am, so they might never notice that they're upload speeds are super weak!

Right-click on all your torrents, advanced, clear peer list. Does that reduce the "apparent" numbers of peers/seeds on those torrents?

My guess is either your network is not able to hold together nicely with all the probable incoming connections and/or your ISP is throttling you to almost nothing on the upload side.

...Or there's really super-few peers on those torrents and they are already overloaded by all the seeds trying to upload to them at once.

Do look carefully at where the bandwidth's going.

It may be you can only get good speeds to others on the same ISP or USA ISPs.

Say what? Hmm.... Well, in the past few minutes I had a 10+ kB/s connection to someone from another American ISP and then someone from Finland. Is that a fairly common problem though?

... but lately my upload speeds have been pathetic. ... I'm using utorrent 2.2 beta build 21882...
-- 2010-09-10: Version 2.2 Beta (build 21882)

- PMTU...

- New upload choker

- huge backport from 3.0 Alpha ...

Let me get straight to the point:

Starting with this build the above changes (some undocumented... :P ) do greatly affect upload, and for the worse :( . You can try tweaking, but the basic mechanisms are broken (or to put it more nicely, if you like, they need tuning...) .

So I suggest you move this post, Switeck, to the 'found bugs' section ASAP, and start bugging the devs... (if you are still up to it...) . And, if you ask me, the previous beta should be made available to all users until the issues are fixed, otherwise, they'll all downgrade to 2.04 (now, that Firon has come to his senses and will update it with the uTP-timer-bug-fix... :P )

my 2 cents...

Upload chocker? Do you mean "choker"? Sounds bad either way.

Thanks for the honest info, rafi! You can't fix it until you admit that it's broken. :P

yeah, sorry, thanks. I'm always honest about bugs (mostly other people's bugs...) ;) I guess it's not "broken", it just needs more tuning... plus you cannot admit that something is broken if it's not reported to be in at all ... :P

Archived