replace file for seeding

johnorford

Thank you again Moogly, because that answers another question in my mind. However this one I didn't explain properly. The torrent is finished and seeding; it's already in the download folder. To use it I have to copy it to wherever, leaving another copy in the download folder to seed. Is that right so far?

What I did was to move the finished torrent to use it, whereas I think I should have copied it. The result is to break the seeding process and an error message in utorrent. Assuming I haven't yet changed the downloaded file in its folder, is there a way to restore the seeding? I tried one or two things but I can't get the seed to re-start. One thing I have learned about torrents is the importance of leaving things to seed, so I want avoid this in future.

No, you can seed a torrent and use it at the same time. You don't need to make a copy to use it.

But sometimes, some programs used to play/read/open your torrent (in fact, the files) don't like when the file is being used by another program than themselves at the same time (µtorrent here).

So if that's the case, you have to stop the torrent job to use 'properly' the files (or make a work copy if you don't want to stop seeding).

yes, I should have put "before I use it I like to copy it elsewhere, for my convenience."

But I do need to leave a copy in the download folder to seed, surely? For whatever reason, three times I've deleted the seed by moving it instead of copying it. When I see what I've done I put it back in my download folder, where it was seeding. But it won't start seeding - I've disrupted something. How do I get it re-started and seeding again?

Archived