Just downloaded uTorrent, but its not working

Luipaard

So I downloaded uTorrent yesterday. I went through the set up guide posted on this website, making sure that there was a Windows Firewall exception, that incoming legacy connections were allowed, and whatnot. (Mind you, I'm a complete beginner at all this.) Then I went to the Open Office link (once more provided by this website) to test my speed with a torrent.

Except it never got that far. My browser kept giving "loading...loading..." and kept saying that it was waiting for the Open Office website to respond. Well...okay, maybe its just really slow. So I leave my computer alone for two hours, figuring hey, that's enough time, right? Except when I come back two hours later, its still giving me "loading...loading..." and waiting for the Open Office website to respond.

Well. That kind of sucks. So I go to the forum and click around and find the Glasnost test. I set it up, it chugs away and ten minutes later I get this: http://i53.tinypic.com/33n8g7c.jpg

Ah! It was the ISP thwarting my torrenting ways!

Except when I tried to set up a static ISP, my computer told me that my DHCP was not enabled. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I probably am) but isn't an active DHCP rather vital for this kind of thing?

When it comes to my internet connection, its a LAN connection to my university's network. Routers are banned in my dorm building. I'm rather at a loss, and have been banging my head against my desk for the past few hours. Can anyone help me?

Ok, Glasnost crashed...so we can't even tell if it's to blame or your ISP.

But if you're on a university network, then they almost certainly mangle packets going through their gateway.

"Routers are banned in my dorm building."

...suggests some real nazis in control of the network. Routers can act as a primitive firewall to prevent much of the incoming (and very unsolicited) hacking attacks. Even if the internet gateway offers the same protections -- what about *INSIDE* the network?

It'd be like a ship with no compartmentalization -- 1 computer gets a super-virus, and potentially all the unfirewalled neighbors could as well.

Some of it is logistical reasons...

University LAN, running at 100 mbit/sec...everyone on it running pretty much at those speeds.

...All sharing maybe 1 gbit/sec of total internet bandwidth. If it's not throttled at least sometimes on an individual basis, just 20 people going near full-speed could stuff the whole internet gateway so that it's lagged something horrible for everyone else. Buying more fiber optic lines and more bandwidth AND the equipment to handle that is still unbelievably expensive. Even going from "fast" ADSL or cable lines (roughly 20 megabits/second down) to a 100 mbit/sec symmetric fiber optic to your door...is like adding 2 digits to the monthly price tag in most of the world.

Some of it is networking problems...

Even if there's plenty of bandwidth, routing issues can occur if there's 1000's of connections going to every computer. The gateway probably cannot handle 100,000 connections at once, though it may only partially fail and fail gracefully.

Some of it is social/legal issues...

Universities are often singled out as "piracy havens" by media corporations.

If BitTorrent isn't allowed...or throttled to near-nothing, these problems are reduced and even potentially eliminated.

As far as virus protections and network security are concerned, universities are often very vulnerable. They can't quite dictate or monitor what students do with their computers like a corporation can spy on its workers.

Archived