Fast DL On POOR Connection / Slow DL on GREAT Connection ... ISSUES

MadHadda

Here is the dilemma. When I am connected to MY internet (router) with a GREAT connection, the torrents get real slow (1 to 2.5 kbs) ... BUT ... when I connect using my neighbors router across the street, POOR connection, the torrents are downloading from 80 kbs to 300 kbs. Huh!?

Our connections say this:

My Connection: 54 mbs DL (not good but provider is the "best" in my area)

Neighbors Connection: 2.5 mbs DL (same provider, farther from my laptop)

** EDIT: Using uTorrent Client 2.0.4

Now, I have given access to MY router to connect to the port I am using for utorrent, turned off all the upnp's and everything else that I am "suppose" to do. Too long of a list to re-list (sorry).

I have even "pimped" utorrent for max DL speed following instructions from online articles.

Now I am curious as to why the torrents have a higher DL rate on my neighbors POOR connection from my house then they do from my own GREAT connection in my own house?

My neighbors router is not set up for DL'ing torrent files, has no open ports set like I had to do to my router. His connection status shows " POOR - 2.5 mbs DL rate " and MINE shows " 54 mbs DL rate " ...

Anyone able to explain this to me? If possible, is there any kind of fix, or something I am doing wrong?

PS. Tested tonight with a torrent that had 254 seeders, 145 peers, and I was connected to 145 seeds and 67 peers. I connected on MY router and was getting 1 - 2.5 kbs DL speed and then I connected to neighbors router and was getting anywhere from 80 - 300 kbs DL speed...

What The Heck !?!?!? Seeking Answers, Please.

Thanks for reading.

I have even "pimped" utorrent for max DL speed following instructions from online articles.

Wrong. You should follow the setup guide http://www.utorrent.com/documentation/connection-setup which will show you, that all settings are relevant to your UPSPEED.

Perhaps (by accident) your settings are more ok for your neighbours line ...

54 megabit/sec sounds like wireless-g LAN speeds (AKA Wi-Fi)...trouble is that's theoretical maximum before counting all the overheads that reduce it to an effective speed of no greater than ~30 megabit/sec usable if you have no wireless encryption...or <20 megabit/sec if using WEP. (Probably best to use WPA2/AES)

Archived