Easy speed up tricks?

stlolth

If your ISP is crippling BitTorrent, most "speed-up tricks" just makes download/upload speeds lower. Even if not, most tricks will only help marginally at best.

Go the other direction, try 2nd link in my signature.

If you're on ADSL, you almost certainly have less than 800 kilobits/second upload bandwidth max.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Rafi, could you tell me what's the most reasonable highest number i should set bt.connect_speed to?

I remember setting it to a much higher number than 8 last time, but someone mentioned not all routers could handle higher numbers, however it turns out i have a very good router.

So what would you recommend in light of that?

If your ISP is crippling BitTorrent, most "speed-up tricks" just makes download/upload speeds lower. Even if not, most tricks will only help marginally at best.

My problem right now is that torrents are slow at start. But when they get going, and it takes them some time, they're pretty fast. I'm thinking maybe bt.connect_speed could help with that.

Rafi, could you tell me what's the most reasonable highest number i should set bt.connect_speed to?

From my guide:

C. For improving Internet chocking / router issues:

[3] Set your pref->advanced->bt.connect_speed = 5

[4] Set your pref->advanced->net.max_halfopen = 8

I use 5/16 on XP. If your router is good and your OS is not limiting you, I guess you can double those .

Archived